Square Braids in soy containers

I've been testing some Square braid wicks in my soy containers. I never hear anyone talk about using them in containers, only BW pillars. Does anyone else use them? Or is there a reason why the rest of you aren't?

So far they seem to be doing fairly well. And I love the fact that they don't curl. I really can't stand curling wicks at all. Weird how large they are though.

I've been testing some Square braid wicks in my soy containers. I never hear anyone talk about using them in containers, only BW pillars. Does anyone else use them? Or is there a reason why the rest of you aren't?

So far they seem to be doing fairly well. And I love the fact that they don't curl. I really can't stand curling wicks at all. Weird how large they are though.

Hi Jeana,

I would like to know more about these wicks too? I wonder if they are suppose to burn hotter than most of the wicks that are used most often in containers. Maybe they are not commonly used in containers because of the size and maybe they get hotter than needed for container wax and the glass. I don't know. :confused:

Maybe someone here will chime in who uses these wicks often and know more about them.

Does anyone use them in soy pillars too, the curling wicks just don't burn evenly cos of the curl. I've tried Eco's & now I'm trying LX's with better results, but that's in my own soy/para blend.

I've been asked for soy only pillars with EO's so I'm experimenting again.

Sally.

Thanks for responding guys.

Holly, I will have to contact some wick suppliers to ask them more about them in containers.

I just thought someone on here may know something about this.

Sally, I found SBs to have a slight curl in pillars because of having to use the smaller sizes. The larger sizes seem too thick to curl. If you are having any success with LX in your pillars, keep using them. They don't have much curl and they burn much more even. Eco's curl too.

I'm just starting on my soy pillars using Nature Wax P1 and used the square braid cuz that's what the instructions recommended. I like the LX in containers and would use them in the pillars also, but not sure where to start for a 3" wide pillar. I'm thinking about mixing my P1 with some paraffin to stop the frosting but not to sure about this as I haven't made any paraffin pillars yet. Obviously, I need more presto pots! lol. Beth

When I was using Ecosoya PB I found LX 24 worked well for 3" in most of my scents. I don't know how Nature wax compares though. If you add paraffin you may need to wick down.

If you are testing different formulas, you don't need a presto for each wax. Try putting the ones you are using as additives in pouring pots, keep them labeled, and do the double boiler method when you are working with them.

So no one out there uses SB wicks for containers? :undecided

I never hear people talking about it either and haven't tried it myself, but Nature's Gifts does mention it in the instructions for their container blends. They give suggested sizes for several wick types including square braid. By reputation this wicking deals well with viscous wax (beeswax) so it seems plausible for soy. It's a little on the floppy side and you don't normally get it in pre-made assemblies, so maybe that explains why people don't try it more. I think it's great that you're giving it a go.

Just curious, what are the sizes of Square Braids Nature's Gifts is recommending for their containers?

I got some essembled samples from wicks unlimited so they are staying very straight. And I primed the raw ones I had in palm. That makes them very rigid.

So far, I have only run into one scent that doesn't work at all.