balloon candles

When I take my ballon out of the wax I put it in a water bath and cut the balloon and leave the water out. I then take it out of the water and dry it. It is cool enough to set down. I have a pully in the ceiling with a string and a bracket (that you use to tye rope from drapes up)on the wall. I have no problem with this system

YIKES!! Well, I'm batting .500 now, My first attempt was great.....and then came balloon #2. I thought al was going well until I heard a nice little pop! Is there anyway to remove water from wax? I had about 8 #'s in my pot when the balloon busted and I'd hate to see it go to waste.

Are you using latex balloons? I have never had that happen. Once my water balloon did a huge canon ball.I gave it a score of 10. That was fun, wax every where. In my hair, my clothes I was covered. I hope you dont have to waste that wax. I think the wax will harden in the water. You might be able to pick it out, Im not really certain. Good Luck

I've had them explode as well. The temp of the wax had raised a little higher than I thought... kaboom. If you let the wax cool until it's solid (in something that you can slip it out of whole) most all of the water will be sitting under the wax. Next, remelt it carefully (high temp will make the remaining water spit and sputter through the wax) and repeat the process. When you're done, let the chunk sit out and air dry. You wont be able to wipe it dry.

I also use a water bath to dunk the shells in after they are formed. Not only does it give the shell a nice shine, it makes it cool enough to set down without distorting.

Knock on wood but I haven't had a balloon pop yet. I also use water to fill my balloon that isn't COLD......during summer it is warmer, but during the winter I always add a little warm water. The shock of putting a very cold water filled balloon into hot wax is just asking for an explosion. (smile)

Donita Louise

Someone in this thread posted a tutorial about how to make these and they showed cutting the eyes etc out and covering with tape to pour... do you just leave them taped up? would the tape pose a fire hazard?

Someone in this thread posted a tutorial about how to make these and they showed cutting the eyes etc out and covering with tape to pour... do you just leave them taped up? would the tape pose a fire hazard?

That is a basic water balloon candle idea, that's the only one I could find at the time. Just ignore anything about cutting into the wax, that is for the jackolanteran. You can still get the basic idea from those instructions.

About the balloons...

I'm a CBA (Certified Balloon Artist) so I know a lot about the quality of balloons.

The best balloons are Qualitex brand balloons (100% latex no fillers) and would work the best for this prodject. You will not find this brand at Wal-Mart or dollar stores and most likely will not find this brand at florists. If you can find them, in your area, then these would be the best to use. I carry ONLY Qualitex and could send some to you.

If you can only get Wal-mart or dollar store balloons then I suggest to double stuff them, for added strength. Take one balloon and stuff a pencil into it (eraser end) then stuff that balloon into the other balloon, that will give you a doubled stuffed balloon, better to withstand the heat of the wax.

BTW - Also like Donita said, only use room temp to warm water in the balloon.

HTH - Candle Man