Votive moulds, anywhere cheaper

In the UK?

Although votive moulds seem pretty cheap, i.e. 80p, the wick pins seem a tad pricey.

I've found 6 votive moulds, 6 wick pins and 24 pre tabbed wicks for £11.50 plus £1.50 postage.

Anyone know of anywhere cheaper in UK? although you can get the wicks and votives cheaper, it seems not the pins

Hello!

I used to make votives for a little farm market.....and of course I couldn't afford a zillion molds!So, I read somewhere a lady used the wax coated dixie cups! So... that is what I did and I loved the fact that I could just rip them off and toss! :D Just make sure you let the wax cool before pouring or it will melt the waz coating and leak all over. HTH! I loved that method...I used straight paraffin.

Kimmeroo

Hiya,

I'm in the UK, we dont' get dixie cups. I think the equivalent I've found are plastic ones, but they have ridges inside :(

I really want to crack on with these, so I'm wondering whether £13 total is pricey or not?

Then theres the pre-tabbed wicks of course

Hello!

I used to make votives for a little farm market.....and of course I couldn't afford a zillion molds!So, I read somewhere a lady used the wax coated dixie cups! So... that is what I did and I loved the fact that I could just rip them off and toss! :D Just make sure you let the wax cool before pouring or it will melt the waz coating and leak all over. HTH! I loved that method...I used straight paraffin.

Kimmeroo

Hiya' date='

I'm in the UK, we dont' get dixie cups. I think the equivalent I've found are plastic ones, but they have ridges inside :(

I really want to crack on with these, so I'm wondering whether £13 total is pricey or not?

Then theres the pre-tabbed wicks of course[/quote']

Order those in US. You will some $$

at Peak for example, $0.85 (0.43 GBP) each, 11 wick pins for $0.82 each (0.41 GBP)

In the UK?

Although votive moulds seem pretty cheap' date=' i.e. 80p, the wick pins seem a tad pricey.

I've found 6 votive moulds, 6 wick pins and 24 pre tabbed wicks for £11.50 plus £1.50 postage.

Anyone know of anywhere cheaper in UK? although you can get the wicks and votives cheaper, it seems not the pins[/quote']

Hiya

I got mine from 4 candles, mind you they were on special offer. However, they have another offer on at the moment. Here's the link

http://www.4candles.co.uk/access/candle_making_moulds.html#vmpkit

Sabrina is right though, you can get them much cheaper from the US like everything else.

Ruby

I hate votive wick pins. When you remove them, more often that not it leaves a ragged edge that isn't pretty.

just pour your votive, wait for it to start setting round the outside and then add your wick. The secret is to not add the wick whilst the wax is too hot - otherwise it will melt the wax around the wick and make it flop over.

You don't need to worry too much about the wick being off centre by too much on the first pour, as when it has shrunk - you can wiggle the wick into place before you do the top up.

Girlyracer, it was actually them I was getting them from, but their ebay site. works out cheaper on their website, thanks.

Nat, you mean as the wax is going off, insert the pretabbed wick? doesnt' the sustainer make a big hole? silly me, never thought of having to do a repour. That would cover it

always best to do a repour on votive so you get a smooth top and not one that's all caved in.

Wait for the edges to start setting - because if the edges are setting, that means there is a thin layer of wax setting on the bottom too - so when you put your wick into the wax (the bit in the middle that hasn't set yet - so how could you make a hole??) it will stick to the wax at the base of the mould.

Personally, I use self centering wick tabs - they are tabs that are the same size as the base of the votive mould - so I know my wicks are always centered.

thanks for the tip nat :)

I did wonder how self-centring wick tabs, self-centred. Now I know its not a remote controlled homing device on the bottom of each tab lol :D

I guess to buy them you need to know the diameter of your votive moulds.

Does anyone use pre-tabbed wicks for pillars? Are they done that way at all?

Seems a lot easier, especially with testing, stick a pin in, set it, pull it out, in goes the wick and bobs your aunties grocer ;)

That was a good tip Nat. I use wick pins but I too don't like the way they come out at the bottom. Those bits always seem to chip off. I was thinking of just using the mould and no wick pin. Then once they were almost set, make a hole in the middle with a bamboo skewer, or something similar, and then threading the wick through the hole.

I'll have to try one and see how it works out.

Ruby

thanks for the tip nat :)

I did wonder how self-centring wick tabs' date=' self-centred. Now I know its not a remote controlled homing device on the bottom of each tab lol :D

I guess to buy them you need to know the diameter of your votive moulds.

Does anyone use pre-tabbed wicks for pillars? Are they done that way at all?

Seems a lot easier, especially with testing, stick a pin in, set it, pull it out, in goes the wick and bobs your aunties grocer ;)[/quote']

most aluminium votive moulds are the same size. the large wick tabs from 4candles SUCK. they're so thin and rubbish - so don't bother with those.