Wick sizes for Mason jars

The more I read the more confused I get.:undecided I am using GB415, would like to try 8oz & 16oz widemouth Mason jars. Now I am trying to decide where to start with wicks. I have been looking at sample packs of HTP and LX wicks. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am sure learning there is alot involved in trying to make candles.

Thanks for any help!

I would suggest a sample pack of both...When I started I bought every sample pack there was lol and now I know which ones I like and dislike. I use the LX the most so far but I am still testing, hopefully one of these years I will be happy

In the wide mouth jars, you will more than likely need the largest size or next to the largest size of whatever wick you decide to go with if you want to single wick. These jars have about a 3 in diameter and that is as far as you really can go with soy without having to DW. Some heavier FOs are very difficult to single wick in this jar.

I poured some candles using 415 a couple nights ago using the wide mouth jars. I am going to test the LX 18 and LX 20. I will let you know how it works. I have been using the CD 16's and RRD 47's but testing to see how some other wicks perform.

A friend of mine is using the HTP 1212's in her 16 oz wide mouths and 100% soy. I tried the HTP 105 but it didn't come close to cleaning the sides of the jars.

I poured some candles using 415 a couple nights ago using the wide mouth jars. I am going to test the LX 18 and LX 20. I will let you know how it works. I have been using the CD 16's and RRD 47's but testing to see how some other wicks perform.

A friend of mine is using the HTP 1212's in her 16 oz wide mouths and 100% soy. I tried the HTP 105 but it didn't come close to cleaning the sides of the jars.

The 126 more than likely won't cut it either. Also I don't think the CD 16, RRD 47 or LX 18 are going to come anywhere near achieving a full mp. I can't remember what is the largest LX - seems like its 24 but its been awhile since I tested those. So based on that, I think it will be iffy for the LX 20 to cut it too.

I have found the 1212 works with most FOs in this jar with this wax. The 1312 can really be a torch though. If you have any CD 20 and 22's - try those also. They work well in this jar too.

The 126 more than likely won't cut it either. Also I don't think the CD 16, RRD 47 or LX 18 are going to come anywhere near achieving a full mp. I can't remember what is the largest LX - seems like its 24 but its been awhile since I tested those. So based on that, I think it will be iffy for the LX 20 to cut it too.

I have found the 1212 works with most FOs in this jar with this wax. The 1312 can really be a torch though. If you have any CD 20 and 22's - try those also. They work well in this jar too.

I have been using CD 16's for a while and I get a melt pool of close to 1/2 inch in my 8 oz and 16 oz wide mouth jars. If I used a CD 20 or 22 with my soy I would be afraid half the jar would be the melt pool. I was actually concerned that the CD 16 wick was too hot but the 14 didn't quit reach the edge of the glass. I made some with the RRD 47 and also got a good melt pool so yes they work well for me.

The biggest LX I believe is a 30 and I used that in a 4 1/2 inch diameter square jar that worked really well.

I am always amazed at all the different combinations that works for people but thats the joy of ficky candle making lol

I have been using CD 16's for a while and I get a melt pool of close to 1/2 inch in my 8 oz and 16 oz wide mouth jars. If I used a CD 20 or 22 with my soy I would be afraid half the jar would be the melt pool. I was actually concerned that the CD 16 wick was too hot but the 14 didn't quit reach the edge of the glass. I made some with the RRD 47 and also got a good melt pool so yes they work well for me.

The biggest LX I believe is a 30 and I used that in a 4 1/2 inch diameter square jar that worked really well.

I am always amazed at all the different combinations that works for people but thats the joy of ficky candle making lol

Wow! that is very surprising the CD 16s and RRD 47's work - in this same jar with the 415, with or without additives (no paraffin), I could never get it to work. I have to go all the way up to a 1212 as most do too. I'm surprised too the RRD47's - those worked for me in the regular mason jars but not the wide mouths. Yes, it was the 30's I used too, I checked my bag since it has been a long time since I tested those and couldn't right off hand remember the sizes. I even had problems getting a full MP with those in this wide mouth jar.

Have you burned a candle all the way down with the 16's and the 47's? And you got a clean burn all the way to end? If so, that's great! Do you add any paraffin or any type of other additives to the 415?

You are correct it is funny how different our experiences are. So very different. :) But good for you!! :smiley2:

For my 3 inch diameter containers in pure soy I have had the best luck with lx 26's although some mushrooming. But my favorite as of lately is the eco 12's. I pour my soy hotter than recommended which could account for my larger wick sizes. I have been having trouble with a full melt pool in my 8 oz tins, so I have just set them aside for now.

Natalie

If you are using the Wide mouth ones, I would start with the HTP 126 and then try the HTP 1212. Make sure to test with the color and FO % you plan on using.

edit: oh yeah, and make sure you test burn in 4hr increments. Be patient, you may not reach a full melt pool on the first or second burn, but by your third or fourth burn, as the jar tapers down; it will get hotter and eventually burn the left over wax from up top. As long as the flame seems strong and does want to go out, you should be fine.

oh yeah, and make sure you test burn in 4hr increments. Be patient, you may not reach a full melt pool on the first or second burn, but by your third or fourth burn, as the jar tapers down; it will get hotter and eventually burn the left over wax from up top. As long as the flame seems strong and does want to go out, you should be fine.

I found this out with the 444 wax I was testing. I have used CD 16's in my wide mouths with 100% soy for a while with great results so I didn't think about it when I grabbed my jars with the wicks already in them for the new wax. I started to test the new wax and I thought well peanut butter, my wicks aren't going to work with this wax. Half way down the jar it caught up and melted all the wax. I am not quite getting a clean jar, just a little residue left that isn't there with my 100% soy but had I not said heck with it and let it burn anyway, I wouldn't have realized this could happen lol.

nanny,

I have used the tins a lot, the 4 and 8 ounce sized, in the past I have used lx 24' for the 4 ounce and lx 26 for the 8 ounce. I like them, wet spots are not an issue since you cant see through them, but I have always achieved a smooth top. Peoples reactions weren't as enthusiastic as mine I thought they were cool, but all my friends and family were crazy about the square masaon jars. But the 4 oz are a perfect personal candle. I make a lot of them with girly scents. Also I used them to give away to try and get my candles on my market. lol

Natalie