wick for pillars

Just to confuse you more, I wick my mottled/rustic pillars to completely consume themselves...I wick my OK6228 pillars to have a small shell.

The only reason I don't wick the OK6228 to consume itself completely is that I haven't found a wick that'll burn that wax all the way to the edge without spilling over. I don't want it to spill over because some people don't use holders under the candles and I don't want to ruin their furniture.

Whatever makes you the most comfortable is what I'd go for. For the first 3 or 4 years I wicked all my pillars to burn with a shell - I felt safer that way. Now I'm a little more dangerous and work at wicking so they burn very close to the edge.

DanaE

if you wick it where it runs over, you're wasting a lot of wax, FO and end up with a short-lived candle. I wick the ones I make based on who's going to burn them. If I know the customer is experienced, I'll wick for self-consumption. If they tend to be careless w/their candles, I'll wick for a shell and give them a lesson on hugging. At this point in time I only make candles for people I know so it's easy to engineer the candle based on how it will be handled by the end-user.

I have an associate that wanted his candles to drip cause he likes the look ---well, he has changed his mind after one of the staff left a candle burning all night and he spent 45 minutes cleaning wax off the restaurant floor .....told him so:laugh2: