Possible BIG order need hints

cybersix

Hi all, I'v been contacted by a couple, they want 100 candles for their wedding in october. I'll meet them on saturday afternoon, so I'm trying to put on a sheet all the things I have to ask/tell/consider.

I already told them i can offer a 30% off of my retail price. Is it too much or adequate for 100 candles? This is the price of candels not including decoration or packaging. Maybe they'll want their initials on the candles, so price for painting or other has to be figured out.

I was thinking to ask them half of the total cost before starting the work, is it right?

Any thing that comes to your mind would be a great help!!!!!

Half up front is reasonable but my policy is that if I am making something I cannot sell to anyone else (like initials or special colors/scents) I get the full amount up front. At least make sure that you get enough to cover the cost of your supplies.

It depends on the size of the candles: if it's not tealights or votives, 25-30% sounds about right. Half the total cost sounds good too, as long as it is non-refundable. You don't want to be stuck with 100 personalized candles and have to give a refund.

Good points girls.

No the candles are pillars if they don't change their minds. They will come to discuss every detail.

Now I'm really in doubt you're right about 100 personalised candles... I think I will make them sign something, do you think it's ok?

If I were going to order 100 candles for my wedding, I would definitely want to see one done before I signed something stating that I had to buy them. If I were you, I would discuss everything and then tell them that you will make a sample for them to see, if they like it and that's what they want for their order, that they would have to pay before the order is made. It's not unheard of, or too much to ask, to have customers pay before they receive your goods, especially if they have already received a sample to look at and sign your paperwork.

Just my 2 cents.

Sabrina, calculate your cost for the 100 candles and work it out as a % of the estimated total bill for them, with the discount. Then ask that % as a deposit, prior to starting any work on the final order. Make sure that you spesify by what date they need to confirm payment into your bank account, taking into consideration the time it would take you to order additional supplies if you need it, as well as the time it will take you to make and wrap them. The balance is payable on delivery.

Good luck - I'll hold thumbs for you:D

Thanks, I will ask them this. After all it's their wedding.

I use to take pics of the first candle to show to the customer. They aren't really near me so i will ask if they accpet a pic through email or want to come in person.

Great thoughts girls keep em coming!

Sabrina, calculate your cost for the 100 candles and work it out as a % of the estimated total bill for them, with the discount. Then ask that % as a deposit, prior to starting any work on the final order. Make sure that you spesify by what date they need to confirm payment into your bank account, taking into consideration the time it would take you to order additional supplies if you need it, as well as the time it will take you to make and wrap them. The balance is payable on delivery.

Good luck - I'll hold thumbs for you:D

Thanks Katinka. the calculation part is made as I said except for decoration and packaging. I told them this has to be evaluated based on what they want. It's my understanding that candles will be put in boxes after the spouses decide for the size they will search for boxes. If I had to wrap 100 candles I'd ask the double!!

Girls I love you all you're helping me much!

I wouldn't offer a discount unless they were repeat business. If someone hears of a great deal than everyone wants the same. Than you are stuck offering discounts. You are designing a specialty product for a client and spending a lot of time making sure this is something they want so I would ask for payment in full once they accept your product. Brides change their mind quite often or the wedding is called off, so you don't want to get stuck with something you worked so hard on. You just never know what could happen. I was in real estate for a few years and even though I had a contract with clients there was nothing I could do if they found another home and I would lose out on the commission.

Ok, too late on the discount side, we already discussed it, and that was my word.

My prices changed from the first contact we had and they don't know it yet.

on 100 candles I think I would ask a discount too.

I can write something about changing their mind on the go.. like a surplus or something...

I just have to say that I would get a least half up front, non refundable. I got burned almost 2 years ago on a deal like this. A girl from a local deli's mom was getting married and she wanted 100 cinnamon scented red and white votives plus 100lbs of cinnamon scented potpourri. I gave them a huge discount, but stupid me thinking they were honest people let them have the product first and then give me payment. Well guess what? Almost 2 years later they still owe me over 200 dollars. Never again will I make a mistake like that. Sorry to say that no matter who it is, you have to think of yourself first in those situations. Now it's a strict policy.

Edited to add that I had my candles in this deli on consignment. I don't anymore, I pulled everything out about 6months ago. Just be careful.

Thanks Janelle, I'm so sorry for you.

At least half up front is what I intend to do, plus signing a sort of contract.

This will be waaayyyy more than $200 for me if I do the work.

At leas 1000 euros ($1300) for just the candles. I don't know if it's a normal expense for "bomboniere" in a wedding.