Whipping shea butter

Jeana

I read somewhere that heating it that high isn't good though... I think it was on the Shea Butter section in Fixed Oils in the MMS online catalog.

Whipping makes it fluffier because you're whipping air into it so it becomes aerated (like whipped cream). Not too sure if that helps with graining. Some sites recommend quick cooling to reduce graininess.

I have heard heating too high causes graininess too.

I have tried the rapid cooling. It was successful until a few months went by and it got cold in my house and then the graininess showed up. I even tried the method of not heating it and just incorporating it in with the heated oils. This didn't work for me either.

I haven't tried whipping it, so I was hoping this would be the answer for me.

With so many people using Shea butter I am suprised more people aren't complaining about this.

Do any of you put an expiration date on your butters?

I just nuke mine until it's mushy and then mix in the oils, freeze for a little bit and whip the crap out of it. I have some that I made last year that I'm still using and it is fine.

I do exactly the same, with good results. I wonder if there's any difference between the refined and unrefined regarding the graininess. I use unrefined - never tried whipping the refined stuff.

I see the one website recommends putting the shea in the containers already cooled. I have been pouring it into the containers warm, then put them in the freezer to set up. I guess this wasn't right.

Good, now I am going to try doing the heating for 20 min., whipping and cooling method and see what I come up with.

Thanks you guys:cheesy2:

I agree DO NOT hear it to high.

I made lip balm a few months ago

I heated it initially to 170 and poured a few. Then it started to set up so I zapped it in the Microwave for a little too long and the last two I poured with that bit came out grainy. I did some research and found that Shea behaves like chocolate, it coagulates (? right word?) when temps get to high.

I just made two batches of the whipped shea for all my mom/stepmom/aunts/sister/etc... and it came out nice and smoothe. I kept checking the temp to make sure it stayed under 170.

Good luck!

ilona

Temper it like chocolate...I use my micro and melt my shea butter on high BUT only in 1 minute increments...once it's nearly melted, continue to warm for 2 or 3 minutes at LOWEST power (this is tempering and reduces the graininess)...Just my 2 cents

I'm wondering if it's the microwave way of melting the butters that give you problems? I use unrefined shea in my lotions sticks, lip balms and just yesterday for my whipped shea. I never microwave it and I never have grainy problems. I never measure to 170 degrees. What I do is fill a sauce pan with water about 1/4 of the way. Set a larger stainless steel bowl on top, not down in the water, put the shea in by itself, turn the heat on med to med low and let it gradually melt down before adding anything else. Takes about 20 minutes for this to happen. Its right around this time that I have to turn the heat down so the water isn't bubbling too much. Then I add my other butters, beeswax if making stick or balms. It takes longer doing it this way, but I never have to worry about it being grainy. HTH