Thermometer issue....need your help & ideas

LOL, that wasn't directed at you. I just have to grin sometimes seeing how much message board noise (MBN) can be generated by a simple question, and how few people read the question thoughtfully enough to give the most helpful response.

Problem - my mixing pot is too tall. Solution - there's a short version of the pot for making individual testers.

Suddenly everyone is on a mission to get you to buy a Presto. Not a bad idea, but irrelevant to the question. You don't need one to melt less than a pound of wax and you still won't know what temperature it is once you pour it in the pot! :)

ForHisGlory gets the relevance trophy today and wilsonswix gets the humor award.

And you, top, get the bite me award.

I don't have a small pot either - just the larger one and my candy thermometer almost reached the wax, but not quite. I did what the other person suggested and tilted the melting pot and balanced it. That got the tip of the thermometer in the wax and I didn't have to purchase anything else.

ForHisGlory gets the relevance trophy today and wilsonswix gets the humor award.

:confused: Huh? I actually do have a fishing stringer, clothespin contraption in my workshop. It works for me. Just thought I'd post a cheap solution to a problem, rather than them having to go out and buy something.

If you have a wire coathanger you're not using, you could try measuring how far down you need your thermometer to be, cut the coathanger about an inch or two longer, then bend the ends so they'll hook over the pot edge and slide thru clip on the thermometer. this will keep the thermometer against the side of the pot, off the bottom and you'll still be able to stir easily. Just my $.02

Thanks for the info about the smaller pot! How much do they hold?

They hold two pounds. I usually only use them for testing as I test only with one pound. That gives me a 16 oz jar or two 8 oz. and maybe a couple of votives. These are the only two sizes that I sell and I have to test each size.

I tried the bamboo skewer and other things that fell and splashed into the big pot!!!!! Decided that I may need to keep from losing my temper and gave up on that. lol! Tried the coffee pot and that was a pain without a handle.

Just felt the cost, of the small pots, was more time effective and less frustrating. I want to be happy with what I am doing. What's a few more dollars? lol!

If you don't want to get another pour pot, just get a glass pyrex measuring cup

How much does the temperature of the wax drop when you pour it into the glass measuring cup? My wax already seems to drop so fast already that I barely have time to mix FO and dye. I'm actually considering getting a digital thermometer....the other ones fluctuate too much so I'm never sure if I'm actually getting a proper reading.