small ball molds

Hi Sabrina, I hope you don´t mind me jumping in here and asking a question about those red candles that were shown in the first link which was posted by Vicky. I have seen a lot of these types of candles in the shops here and I think to myself "have they not bothered to poke relief holes in these and top them up".:shocked2: I don´t think this is the shape of the mould on the bottom, they have definately just poured in the wax and let them set - some of the wicks are horribly off centre as well. Have you or anyone else seen ball candles like this - what do you think? Thanks.

I think they where just trying to give you an idea of what they look like unmolded. But The first link that mold the top and the bottom of that mold is flat.

I wish I had a picture of mine but darn it not a picture one. I can't believe I never took a picture of my Ball candles.

Thank you soo much Vicky!!! Found the metal mould I have been after for so long!!!! :yay: :highfive: :D

Anjie,x.

Yes they are showing that candle upside down and yes it does need to be topped off.

ETA - That mold does not look like it has a round top. The way it is sitting in the photo it looks like it has a flat top.

Ok I think I get it - they are showing the bottom of the candle -thanks. These candles below are being sold by a company here, guess this is the look they want. I have seen a few more in some of the flower shops here from European manufacturers that look like this too. I think I may purchase a small one to see how they burn.

kulur-bleik.gif

Ok I think I get it - they are showing the bottom of the candle -thanks. These candles below are being sold by a company here, guess this is the look they want. I have seen a few more in some of the flower shops here from European manufacturers that look like this too. I think I may purchase a small one to see how they burn.

kulur-bleik.gif

Yes they can be poured like that, if you like that look. The molds listed in the second post will most likely have to be poured like that, because they have a flat top. They also could be poured as the flat part of the mold as the top, too. That's the two choices you have with that mold.

This is the look you will get from the molds I posted. This is not my candle, it is to show how the finished candle in this mold will look. Notice the seam line around the center of the candle with a flat bottom so the candle will sit. The flat end is from the opening of the mold that you pour the wax in.

post-219-139458423787_thumb.jpg

kulur-bleik.gif

Actually Candleman I have that mold in the second post you do it like you would any other mold. I treat it like any other mold top is the bottom. It has a flat spot on top and the bottom. If they are made right with the wax being topped off they are very pretty not like these.

Ok, now I'm really confused.

If they aren't perfect spheres I don't want them LOLOL

I have the saturn ball mold in 3", 4", 5" diameters. Then I have two polycarbonate molds of 2.5" diameter.

I had also another polycarbonate mold a little bigger but it got ruined by FOs.

Thsi polycarbonate molds are more like the ones in the link and they minimize the seam line. I'm not able to use the saturn molds... I always get too much wax running where the two parts meet.

I should try them again with more patience! anyway I was thinking to add a little little sphere, what i would like to do is to present a set of spheres!

I got a price list and enquired about postage and they were very quick responding. Unfortunately it said that the total was not inclusive of vat and if i couldn't supply them with my vat number there would be 25%!!!!! on top!!!

This has really put me off of ordering, I'll have to think about it LOL.

Anjie,x.

I have the saturn ball mold in 3", 4", 5" diameters. Then I have two polycarbonate molds of 2.5" diameter.

Thsi polycarbonate molds are more like the ones in the link and they minimize the seam line. I'm not able to use the saturn molds... I always get too much wax running where the two parts meet.

I should try them again with more patience! anyway I was thinking to add a little little sphere, what i would like to do is to present a set of spheres!

This is the one that will give you a round one with out a flat spot on top.

http://www.d-c-m.dk/produkter.asp?page=170&page2=220&gruppeid=10&produkt=107

Thsi polycarbonate molds are more like the ones in the link and they minimize the seam line.
I'm not able to use the saturn molds... I always get too much wax running where the two parts meet.

I have no problem with the mold leaking at the seam.

Make sure you use the rubber gasket between the two halves of the mold. Then use plenty of paper clips (see attached photo) to hold the mold tightly close.

Good Luck

post-219-139458423804_thumb.jpg

I have no problem with the mold leaking at the seam.

Make sure you use the rubber gasket between the two halves of the mold. Then use plenty of paper clips (see attached photo) to hold the mold tightly close.

Good Luck

:grin2: Thanks candleman.. I did so, but I got three of those paper clips for each mold and use three.. maybe I should use all nine together and see how it goes!

I was so unhappy with those balls that I can't find the nerve to try again... Ok it will be my next mission!

There used to be a great ball mold offered by Peak and CandleScience. I would love to find a good source for those - I need a large volume so I would like to find the manufacture but I have never had any luck googling. The molds in this thread are similar but these are round on the top and the seam is almost nonexistant.

Scented North, That polycarb mold will not hold up very well, over time. FO will cause them to become brittle and crack.

How do I know? I had an easter egg mold years ago and only got about 6 candles out of it before it cracked. Polycarb molds are a great concept, because they are transparent you can see through them to pour layered candles. They need to be made of a different type of plastic, one that will withstand FO and many candle pours.

Scented North, That polycarb mold will not hold up very well, over time. FO will cause them to become brittle and crack.

:shocked2: Thanks for the info, Candle Man. FYI for anyone else who'd like these, I have 6 egg shaped molds in the poly and when I removed a batch last night, I found jump lines etched into the molds. This was the first time I used those molds and they're ruined. I can use them for a short time with an overdip, but not what I was after.

yeah I started with polyc. molds and most of them are ruined now, including balls and eggs.

I have two square molds I use for my cat shelter candles because i make them with a cat embeds and transparency helps me while positioning the cat... but i use less FO than usual or they would be ruined too.

yeah I started with polyc. molds and most of them are ruined now, including balls and eggs.

I have two square molds I use for my cat shelter candles because i make them with a cat embeds and transparency helps me while positioning the cat... but i use less FO than usual or they would be ruined too.

Another idea for you would be to pour the candle un-scented and make an everlasting candle. Then using a votive/tealight plug or drilling a hole to insert a glass votive/tealight holder in the top.

Just another idea to keep using the polycarb mold longer.

ETA - You may have to use some mineral oil in the un-scented candle to be able to get the candle out of the mold. Wax with no oil may stick to the mold, it has for me with the wax I use. Maybe mineral oil will not react and break down the polycarb mold.