Gb 444

I just wanted to say since I've been testing the GB 444 wax I've found so many FO's that wouldn't throw well in my other soy wax (C 3) that are kicking butt in this wax. I'm so glad that I didn't just buy a sample size and went straight to buying a case of this wax to test with. So if anyone is thinking of trying this I would have to say "go for it you'll love it"

HTH Cindy/WI

I just started testing the 444 a couple days ago. I do know that I have great cold throw but something hit me late last night. I wasn't thinking when I poured them and just grabbed the jars that I already had wicks in from my KY125.

Welllll in my 8 oz wide mouth, I was using CD 16's with KY 125. I got out one of my candles and lit it. This wick isn't going to work. I need a bigger wick sooo the 20 candles I poured have to be melted down and rewicked. This wax has to be wicked up from my soy. I would say a CD 20 is what I will have to use in my 3 inch diameter jars now.

Thats what I get for being excited and just not thinking about the wicks lol

Jami

Last night I did some research and geek did a test of gb444 a while ago. So when I get around to my first pour I am gonna heat to no hotter than 170 and pour at about 130. At least I am gonna start there. So far I havent got up the nerve or something I recieved my gb444 on Tuesday.

Natalie

Last night I heated to 150, poured in FO at 140 and poured at 135. I'm using Fudge Brownie from Peaks (which smells soooo good I could have drank it!). After the candle had set, it didn't seem to have much cold throw at all. But this morning, my kitchen smelled like brownies! Hope the hot throw matches the cold throw. Hot throw has been a real problem for me with all the waxes I've tried.

Now for fun, I've added 10% palm container wax into the mix. I did this to see if it would stop frosting and wet spots. I started with container palm and always found it adhered to glass really well, so hoping this may be a solution. Tried with some other waxes and for fun, put a candle in the freezer for 15 minutes and no wet spots developed.

Will heating to 170 help with hot throw.. more than heating to 150???

I will be testing the 444 as well soon (currently use the 464). I really am hoping for better hot throw on more scents. I wonder if there is a testing thread for this wax?? Haven't done my homework yet...

There is a variance of opinion for what exact temp to heat your wax, add FO, and pour. Location, weather, type of soy wax, and type or manufacturer of FO used effects these what temps will work for you.

But a general rule of thumb you should be heating your wax to 170-195°, remove your wax from your heat source then adding FO at 150-170°, and finally pouring at 100-140°. And an important note..soy wax definitely needs to cure! Some say as long as two weeks, some say 3-5 days, this again depends on your wax, and of course personal preference. I personal don't have the patience to let candles cure for two weeks. So if my hot/cold throws aren't great after a few days, I'd find a new FO, but that's just me.

To R.S.: I would say your you hot throw problems could have to do with the temp you are adding FO, I'd try adding a little hotter. You didn't mention cure time, so if you are burning them the day after pouring, that could be a problem too.

I melt my wax in a presto on warm. I "think" that is around 170 - 180 degrees.

I then pour it into a pyrex measuring glass and add my color crystals. I let it sit for about 5 minutes then add my fragrance oil. I stir for 3 or 4 minutes to help the oils bind together. I poured several candles and tried any where from almost slushy (not on purpose but got sidetracked) to cloudy to around 140.

I grabbed some of my jars that I had already placed the wicks in and poured. It dawned on me that these wicks might not work with this wax around 1 in the morning. I grabbed one to burn. Wellllll they started off with an oh crap, I wasted 20 jars and have to melt them all down to half way through the candle it caught up and cleaned the sides. I am going to definitely wick up on my next batch of candles.

These candles had only been sitting around 30 hours when that dawned on me. I actually could smell my little 4 oz candle that I put in my bathroom to "test" throughout the bathroom and bedroom. It was honeydew melon. Now yes I agree they need to be cured at least a week (which is what I have always done) BUT I was pleased to see that even after such a short period of time, I had a hot throw I could smell.

Just like any wax, this is going to have some quirks to work through but I think I am really going to like this wax!

GW444: Soy Blended Container Wax

This soy wax contains a soy based additive and is both natural and kosher. This soy based additive enables the soy to be poured at a hotter temperature, helps reduce frosting, and will help increase FO load. 444 has a higher melt point which enables it to retain a higher FO load to give you a stronger scent throw.

444 blends well with paraffin, slack wax, and microcrystalline waxes. We do not recommend blending this wax with beeswax.

Pour Temp: 125-145

Melt point- 120-125

FO load: 9%-11%

Finally getting back to this thread. For those of you that asked I've been heating my wax to 180 and adding FO then. I let it cool to 140 - 135 and then pour. I've found HTP's work pretty good but still testing the CD wicks which is what I would rather use. Like I said I've found some FO's that I wasn't getting that great of a hot throw from in my C 3 wax are throwing awesome in the GB 444. Mostly these scents came from JS.

HTH Cindy/WI