1 Of 4 Wicks Is Mushrooming....

I have been wrestling with a container candle - its in a big wide tea cup type thing, that measures approx 5.5" diameter.

I started off with 2 LX wicks, can't find the peice of paper with the size on dohhh, then when that obviously wasn't touching it rewicked it with 3 LX20's, that wouldn't take the melt pool to the edges either....so, rewicked again with 4 LX20's. Its been burning now for 3 and a half hours and the melt pool is very near the edge but ONE of the wicks has mushroomed.

1. Has the melt pool grown too quickly on a first burn?

2. What does mushrooming indicate usually. I know it may mean a few things but could it mean I need to wick down to LX18's or something? Seeing as the melt pool grew to 5 inches diameter in just over 3 hours, i thought the wick may be too big.

Please help. :grin2:

Anjie,x.

Edited to add - preblended paraffin container wax, 1% hot Fudge Sundea F/O, and 1 'shaving' off of a vanilla dye block. So not really over f/o'd or over loaded on colour.

Only 1% FO? Thats not very much, how much wax are you using? You may want to try going up a wick size instead of putting so many wicks in it? Or try another series of wicks. Some wicks work better with different kinds of waxs. Good luck!

Thanks for your reply BUT I was being an air head LOL (no change there!), i didn't mean 1% f/o, my formula is worked out at 1oz of f/o to 1Ib of wax, but i work in grams so its around 6% - i think!!

It's burning fine apart from the mushrooming on one wick. And that was sorted by trimming it. Am I being to picky over my own handywork? I'll burn again tomorrow and see how I feel about it.

I went for the LX20 because the LX16 is too small and i don't have any LX18 because my supplier is out of stock. If I'm not happy tomorrow I will try getting some 18's and try wicking with those. It seems to need 4 wicks though because its such a wide container.

Anjie,x.

ETA Just reread your post! Yes I may try wicking up and using fewer in another test. Thanks! What other wick series are there to try?

Eco, RRD, CD and Hemp burn soy nicely. 'shrooms sometimes just have to be accepted. I sometimes get them as I use 9% FO and a lot of dye, but I tell my customers that if they SHOULD get one, to take it as a reminder that the wick needs to be trimmed. I tried so many times with the same combinations of scent, dye and wax and the results varied to no mushys to ones the size of mouse poo - there was no rhyme or reason, they just happen sometimes.