Shipping Candles

To those of you who ship candles, please advise. I have a customer in TX that has been purchasing my candles since November. I have always packaged the candles myself and shipped flat rate USPS. However, this last week, of the three candles that I sent to him, two of them were shattered. In addition to this, it seems that the candles started to melt in transportation. (It was all over the box). I use 100% soy in these candles and wonder if as the summer approaches, if I will have a major problem with the issue of melting. It only takes two days to reach him. Needless to say, I don't want to lose his business. Of course, I will repour these and take them to the UPS store to have them package it for me. (which will cost me a fortune). Sorry this is so long, but I hope that those of you who ship candles can offer some of your ideas.

I usually ship all year long, with the exception of a couple of super hot weeks (I am in MO.) When I ship candles, I wrap them in bubblewrap and package them within packing peanuts. An I have sent numerous packages to San Antonio, TX with no problems. The peanuts seem to help keep the candle cooler. HTH

I usually ship all year long, with the exception of a couple of super hot weeks (I am in MO.) When I ship candles, I wrap them in bubblewrap and package them within packing peanuts. An I have sent numerous packages to San Antonio, TX with no problems. The peanuts seem to help keep the candle cooler. HTH

Each of the candles were wrapped in bubble wrap. There were packing peanuts under, between and on top of the candles. It hasn't been that hot yet so I don't understand why they would start to melt.

Well as the summer months approach I only ship on Monday or Tuesday. Which limit the amount of time the candles maybe stuck in a hot warehouse or on a dock. I also wrap them in extra bubble wrap and peanuts and I have never had a problem with them melting.

I would really be curious to see the package once it arrived if 2 where shattered the package would have been super damaged there may not have been any protective packaging left.

I've been shipping year round, all over the world for over 7 years now. All I ship are gel candles. I never had a problem until last summer, but I'll get to that in a minute. Before I pack, I make sure they are totally set up, then I pack, leave the box open, and put in an extra cool room overnite. I've never had one melt.

Now last summer, with the unbearable heat all over the country, I even insulated the boxes. Of course, I had some melt, and had angry customers. Funny part was, when I talked to them on the phone, it came out that they had let them sit on a sunny stoop most of the day, and admitted it was their fault. They just wanted free replacements for their mistake, but ultimately reordered at their own expense. You just can't let heat sensitive things sit out when the temps are in the 90s or better, in the sunshine. I consider that part of the transaction their responsibility. When I order something that is heat sensitive, and know I won't be home, I have my neighbor take it in for me. If it's as hot this summer, I may close. I'll be watching it closely.

Funny you mention a Texas shipment though. In the past two weeks, in using the USPS flat rate boxes to Texas, I've had two shipments with damage(broken items), both in the Austin area!:mad:

I always make sure I ship during the weekday and I make sure the customer will get them in the next day or two. Once in a while I have an order that takes 3 days. I never ship on a Friday because the package will sit on a truck over the weekend. I have never had a candle melt and just 1 broken. I also always use bubble wrap to make sure their is adequate ventilation moving through the box. Good Luck!

I try to always ship on Mondays or Tuesday and I always double box..candles in one box inside another box surrounded by peanuts or shred. Have shipped as far away as Germany and Australia. In 7 yrs have yet to have a broken jar...knock on wood! :-)

Also...I never ship in July or August.

Karen

I have a rubber stamp that says in bold red letters "WAX DO NOT LEAVE IN THE SUN!", I stamp that right on the front of the box above the label that way the po usually will hold at the po or place in the shade. I've never had any complaints about melted candles in 7 years and I ship a lot to CA, TX.

We used to have similar problems. The additional cost of reshipping irked us so now...

We wrap each jar in bubblewrap, pack peanuts tightly around the wrapped jar, then seal the box. Next, we bubblewrap the box and pack it in a larger box surrounded by peanuts. Bit excessive I admit, but for the past three years since we started this wrapping process, we have not had one candle break.

Didn't I see once where someone actually used frozen packing peanuts in the summer months? Or am I mistaken?

I dont remember who it was but yes they froze the packing peanuts.

As for me, on the Hot days I ship out on Mondays and Tuesdays and I Always use Priority Mail (have never had a problem with USPS). I wrap mine in Bubble wrap and LOTS of packing peanuts. I make sure it is tight in that box and I also put these large orange stickers that say "Fragile handle with care". I also ask my customers if there will be someone to get their package because it is wax and it will melt if left out in the heat. Now after ALL that said, If they leave it out in the sun it is THEIR problem not mine.

I dont remember who it was but yes they froze the packing peanuts.

As for me, on the Hot days I ship out on Mondays and Tuesdays and I Always use Priority Mail (have never had a problem with USPS). I wrap mine in Bubble wrap and LOTS of packing peanuts. I make sure it is tight in that box and I also put these large orange stickers that say "Fragile handle with care". I also ask my customers if there will be someone to get their package because it is wax and it will melt if left out in the heat. Now after ALL that said, If they leave it out in the sun it is THEIR problem not mine.

Fragile stickers don't mean a thing. I know a few people that work for UPS/Canpar and Purolator and they brought the stickers to my attention once stating that when the guys in the warehouse see "Fragile", just makes it more likely that your box is going to be kicked or tossed around like a football. Pretty sad for all $$$ we're paying for shipping isn't it?

Does anyone consider shipping their candles signature required? Then the package won't be left out in the hot sun. At UPS in the summer, the trucks sit in the sun and often reach well over 100 degrees. The guys used crayons to mark the boxes, and they melted really well on the hot sides of the trucks. I don't know how to keep the candles cool-can they be chilled or frozen and then bubble wrapped? Regarding breakage, I can't speak for the post office but I can tell you how things are at UPS-if a person can't reach the conveyor belt the package goes on, they just throw the package. Then when packages are loaded, the loader builds a "wall" of packages according to size, not weight. A small light package may be required to support a much heavier package so make sure you pack accordingly. A box rated for "200 lbs" under the burst test is your best bet. This information is usually available on the bottom of the box. I buy and sell glass on ebay and if you double-box, the glassware usually arrives intact. Prepare for the worst when shipping and your package usually gets there ok. :wink2:

Fragile stickers don't mean a thing. I know a few people that work for UPS/Canpar and Purolator and they brought the stickers to my attention once stating that when the guys in the warehouse see "Fragile", just makes it more likely that your box is going to be kicked or tossed around like a football. Pretty sad for all $$$ we're paying for shipping isn't it?

I dis-agree with this,,YES they do see the stickers and I am Talking USPS priority mail and ALL of my shipments have been handled very well and gotten to the destination within 2-3 days. I hate using UPS and avoid it when necessary...All my boxes I get from my suppliers that use UPS Are ALWAYS a mess.

Im a wee bit crabby right now so sorry to seem snippy. We have a great post office and I havent had any complaints thus far.

I remember the discussion (I think it was from last summer) about using frozen packaging to help keep things cool. I've had good luck just shipping the normal way, and trying not to have it sit over the weekend like the others said. Even managed to get some packages to the Phoenix area intact when they were having their 120 deg weather. Overall I think USPS Priority (airmail) is best because UPS Ground takes longer (unless it's going somewhere nearby) and their trucks aren't airconditioned.