Amt of Wax vs FO

I'm about to pour my first soy candles this weekend. I did receive the wrong wicks in the mail :undecided but was able to pick up some locally that I think will be ok replacements for a start.

I used the calculators here and my 3" diameter containers that are 4.5" high should use 16 oz of wax according to the calculation. If I go by the formula 1oz of FO for every lb of wax, that means I use a whole ounce of FO for this container?? It seems like an awful lot of fragrance oil given the volume of the container.

Does that sound right?

Nancy

Just a suggestion but try filling with water then pouring out into a measuring cup to get an idea how much it might take before you mix everything up and realize it wasn't quite so accurate. I have done this before just to get a rough idea on what my jar would hold if it wasn't on the packaging.

Jami

Just a suggestion but try filling with water then pouring out into a measuring cup to get an idea how much it might take before you mix everything up and realize it wasn't quite so accurate. I have done this before just to get a rough idea on what my jar would hold if it wasn't on the packaging.

Jami

Thanks, but now I'm even more confused. If I fill it with water and measure how much water goes into the container, then do I use the shredded wax per the same *volume* as the water, or do I weigh the wax??

I'm assuming the weight of the wax would be different than the volume that would fit in the container? I'm confusing myself more trying to explain it :undecided

It is the weight of wax and fo. The water idea is just to give you a general amount. Always weigh your ingredients, I found this out the hard way. Its not 16 fluid oz., its 16 ounces net weight. Hope this helps. I have found some other calculators that have helped me figure out the fo percent I want for any amount of wax. I will look for it and if you are interested I'll post it for you. This all can be very confusing, slowly, but surely, I'm learning more everday. I guess I actually learn more from my mistakes than my successes at this point, probably b/c I have more the first. Good luck!

Thanks, but now I'm even more confused. If I fill it with water and measure how much water goes into the container, then do I use the shredded wax per the same *volume* as the water, or do I weigh the wax??

I'm assuming the weight of the wax would be different than the volume that would fit in the container? I'm confusing myself more trying to explain it :undecided

I didn't mean to confuse you. I was trying to help you get an idea of how much the container would hold. I have a digital scale that I put my measuring cup on then hit tare to take the weight of the cup back out. Then I add my melted wax to get an exact amount. I calculate my FO based on the weight of my melted wax.

An example is: if I pour 15 oz of melted wax and my wax will hold up to 10% max load of FO. I know I can put up to 1.5 oz of FO so I then weigh my little masuring glass for my oil, hit tare and pour my oil any where from 1.2 to 1.5 oz (8 - 10%). Some oils are much stronger and don't require the max and you learn those as you go. Your wax should tell you what the fragrance load is. Mine say 1 - 1.5% per pound.

I hope this helps clarify the amount of wax vs. FO.

Jami