Target selling CP kits???

darci

I don't know folks but I have a 12 year old nephew that has always expressed an interest in everything that I make. He has made jewelry for his mom as well as a tiny bunch of beaded forget me nots. I know there are no chemicals involved in jewelry making or beaded flowers but his younger brother of 7 has expressed and interest in learning to make soap and I don't see any reason not to teach him at 12 years of age. It's not complicated and these guys are fast learners, very attentive and follows instructions very well.. I know I could have made soap at 12 as I am sure that is true for everyone on this board. The only reason we didn't is because we weren't exposed to it.

It's usually pretty easy to tell if a child is truly interested or if it's just one of a million things they show interest in. I have learned from working with my nephews that they are patient, attentive and dedicated while working on a project that they really enjoy. So, I will be the odd one and say...Yes, I wouldn't have any problem instructing a 12 year old in soap making or cosmetics:D

If there is a newbie soap challenge this year, now the newbies know where to get everything all in on place! that's pretty neat:D

I have to chime in here. I have a 10 dd, who I also consider very responsible, and able to follow instructions. I am in the process now of teaching her to sew. Yes, I'm willing to let her use my sewing machine with out too much worry about her hurting herself. But, no way I would let her touch my soap supplies. She may be interested and do her very best to follow instructions. But, accidents can and will happen. Even at 12 they may be responsible, but they are still kids! One mistake could give them burns that could scar them for life. I'm not willing to let my child take that kind of a chance. Maybe an older teenager 15-16, I might consider. But no younger! Just my .02!

Ya know, I buy gifts for kids from time to time. If I don't know them real well, I always rely on the age appropiate guidelines. I can see other people buying this because it says 12 and over, thinking it is safe. A parent may not be buying this for their children. It could be a gift. Also, it says caustic soda. Not LYE. Many people who do not visit soaping boards may not associate caustic soda with lye. They may be thinking baking soda or something. In other words, they are selling Draino to children to play with. *faint*

No but if you look in Ebay and amazon they have them there too!!

Maybe we should all gang up with some one like the handmade soapers group and get this off the market..Before some kid gets hurt!!

Just a thought!!!

I agree! Something should be done and quick! This could be very dangerous in the wrong hands. Just because it states under adult supervision doesn't mean that will actually be followed. I remember a case that happened when I was very young and it was common to find lye. Some kids purposly used it to throw on another child. It was horrible!!! I don't think it is safe to have a product like that available and marketed for use by young children. Some may very well be responsible but others aren't and many more don't have adults that will provide supervision. Alot of adults assume if a product is sold to children then it's safe for them to use. So many people don't read the warning label and others will assume it is like M&P soap and not realize the danger.

If anyone knows who the correct party is or has an address to write to with our concerns please post. Maybe if enough of us write we could help prevent someone from getting hurt.

I agree! Something should be done and quick! This could be very dangerous in the wrong hands. Just because it states under adult supervision doesn't mean that will actually be followed. I remember a case that happened when I was very young and it was common to find lye. Some kids purposly used it to throw on another child. It was horrible!!! I don't think it is safe to have a product like that available and marketed for use by young children. Some may very well be responsible but others aren't and many more don't have adults that will provide supervision. Alot of adults assume if a product is sold to children then it's safe for them to use. So many people don't read the warning label and others will assume it is like M&P soap and not realize the danger.

If anyone knows who the correct party is or has an address to write to with our concerns please post. Maybe if enough of us write we could help prevent someone from getting hurt.

SINCE it has become impossible for people to purchase Lye, Given the new laws, being able to purchase kis should be held under the same restarints

I have to chime in here. I have a 10 dd, who I also consider very responsible, and able to follow instructions. I am in the process now of teaching her to sew. Yes, I'm willing to let her use my sewing machine with out too much worry about her hurting herself. But, no way I would let her touch my soap supplies. She may be interested and do her very best to follow instructions. But, accidents can and will happen. Even at 12 they may be responsible, but they are still kids! One mistake could give them burns that could scar them for life. I'm not willing to let my child take that kind of a chance. Maybe an older teenager 15-16, I might consider. But no younger! Just my .02!

Yep, they are kids and that might be why it is suggested that children use this kit with adult supervision. Which I think means that you will be certain that the child is protected and that you will basically guide them every step of the way. I am certain that a responsible adult wouldn't allow the child to handle lye alone. I know I wouldn't. I am sticking with my previous post and when my nephew is ready I will post a step by step accident free adult supervised soaping session! Look for it in the gallery:D I know my nephew very well and I trust in my own ability to supervise him safely and correctly. Again, it's not complicated nor is it dangerous if you know wth your doing.

I have to purchase lye by a soap supplier and follow the restrictions they have for selling the product. Even locally if it is not sold on the shelf. The same restrictions should apply for this kit.

My point was that not all children that would have access to this product have responsible parents involved in what they are doing that would monitor this project. Many of you have wonderful, responsible children, nieces and nephews...but there are far too many young children out there left to their own devices. Someone purchases the kit for them as a gift and they are left alone to do as they please. Just because the instructions state Adult Supervision Required doesn't mean that it will be followed.

We all know what happens if you accidentally pour water into lye! Even an adult could easily make that mistake. That is a very easy mistake to make. Some adults let alone children just skim over directions and never really realize the importance of the information given. Now imagine a child without adult supervision doing this then just reaching for the first thing around to clean up the mess, or not cleaning it up properly and leaving it where others could touch or walk on.

Most of us are lucky enough to have responsible children and it is easy to forget that there are many children that aren't. There are stories every day of some of the most cruel and violent acts that are now being performed by children and teenagers. The child that I mentioned in my previous post that was attacked and had lye thrown on her is an adult today. She is permanently scared from the top of her head down one side of her face. She was lucky not to get any of it into her eyes! If this stuff is made available that easy this could be very dangerous if it ends up in the wrong hands by a child that isn't lucky enough to have responsible caring parents or guardians such as those of us here involved in their lives and projects.

Yep, they are kids and that might be why it is suggested that children use this kit with adult supervision. Which I think means that you will be certain that the child is protected and that you will basically guide them every step of the way. I am certain that a responsible adult wouldn't allow the child to handle lye alone. I know I wouldn't. I am sticking with my previous post and when my nephew is ready I will post a step by step accident free adult supervised soaping session! Look for it in the gallery:D I know my nephew very well and I trust in my own ability to supervise him safely and correctly. Again, it's not complicated nor is it dangerous if you know wth your doing.

Maybe I would be willing to reconsider when she is 12. But, I guess what I have to go on now, is that even though she is responsible and listens well. She tends to be a bit of a butterfingers and gets flustered very easily when she is excited or nervous. It just gives me visions of lye disasters!:eek: I do let her make all the bath salts she wants though! LOL:D

It must contain goggles for the parent and child. Along with gloves. Unless that's an extra that you're supposed to buy/have on hand.

Definitely seems like a major accident/law suit waiting to happen. I'm sure Target is not aware of lye and it's inherent dangers.

When I first started researching the CP method, I couldn't find any kits out there. I probably would have purchased one of these if it was available for my first try. It certainly should not be marketed towards kids though. The lye scared the heck out of me on my first try, and my nephews are very interested in CP soapmaking, but I do this alone. I don't want any accidents!