Shrink wrap help

Absyrtus

If I use shrink wrap bags, and I use the hair dryer, it will shrink around the candle, but what will happen to the top? How do I make it look nice and tight on the top?

One person mentioned leaving extra on the top and tying with a ribbon. I'd rather not do this, as it would seem that it would not be air tight.

Any ideas?

If you are using bags, place the bag over the pillar. The seam will be across the top of your pillar. Poke a very small hole on both corners (I use a toothpick). Turn your pillar over. Wrap the bottom of your pillar as you would a present, using a small piece of tape. Flip your pillar over (right side up), and use your hair dryer to form the shrink wrap over the pillar. You will be amazed at how easy this is. When finished, I place my warning label over the taped area. Done.

Why the two holes in the top? air escape? I assume the bottom isn't air tight, but i suppose it will do.

Does this keep them fresh? Any warnings? The plastic says it needs to be heated at 240 or something. The MP of my wax is FAR below that. Someone mentioned that it only has to be heated for a second, and therefore this is insignificant... Is this true?

Just a guess here...but you are very new to shrink wrapping arent you?

Scented told ya what ya needed to do. Unless you want to wrap it and tape the shrink wrap on the bottom then shrink it.

If you are going to shrink wrap...INVEST IN AN IMPULSE SEALER.

Good Luck

You poke holes in it to prevent the corners from bunching up and being unattractive. If you are concerned that two small pin holes will have your scent escape significantly, you may want to reconsider this entire process. I would suggest that you take all of the information the people on this board have generously offered and try a bit of it. Good luck.

Kim has been a wonderful source on shrink wrapping and many other things for me. The impulse sealer is really invaluable and good deals can be found for them on eBay. Using bags or tubing, you still need to poke the holes for air release. Tubing is quite cheap if going through www.packcoinc.com as if you spend $25 you get free shipping. Tubing does not appear on the website, or hadn't last I checked, but they do have it in stock.

I know absolutely nothing about shrink wrapping, so please forgive me if I ask some dumb questions. :o

What type of impulse sealer do you recommend? (I looked at the ones on ebay but there were so many styles & sizes- I didn't have a clue what I should be looking for!)

How do you decide what size shrink tubing or bag you need?

I would like to start shrink wrapping my tarts, votives and pillars. I ASSume the tarts and votives would use the same size tubing, but for the pillars it would vary depending upon the diameter.

Sorry if I'm being a PITA. :)

I know absolutely nothing about shrink wrapping, so please forgive me if I ask some dumb questions. :o

What type of impulse sealer do you recommend? (I looked at the ones on ebay but there were so many styles & sizes- I didn't have a clue what I should be looking for!)

How do you decide what size shrink tubing or bag you need?

I would like to start shrink wrapping my tarts, votives and pillars. I ASSume the tarts and votives would use the same size tubing, but for the pillars it would vary depending upon the diameter.

Sorry if I'm being a PITA. :)

You ask questions ;) For the tubing, I've used a 3" with votives and you can use 4" as well. With the 3" pillars, I've been told 6" tubing. I didn't waste my time with the bags as you can essentially make your own out of the tubing and the amount you get on a roll from www.packcoinc.com is plenty to get many things done. I would think the tubing is more cost effective as compared to buying a 100 bags here or there or whatever, because you'll easily get 100 applications out of the roll without making a dent, if that makes sense.

Starting out shrinkwrapping?

Here are some places that have helped me on a tight budget:

www.uline.com - has shrinkwrap tubing. Yes, it is a little on the expensive side, but the rolls never seem to run out. I am still working on the same 5 rolls I bought last year lol

www.harborfreight.com - has impulse sealers. Make sure you ask them if you can order replacement elements. They are ridiculously cheap and you should always have 2 on hand just in case.

Menards, True Value or Home Depot - best places to get a heat gun. Go to the paint department and they have about 6 of them ranging from $20 all the way up to $100. You really only need the cheap one...

All of this can be accomplished for under $100.00 and I GUARANTEE it will be the BEST $100.00 you ever spent. :cool2: