Anyone know what causes this?

That's nothing to worry about! I think it looks great! You should be very excited; when that's the only problem mine have, I'm very pleased. You can try pushing it down and smoothing a little with your finger or you can leave it. You can heat gun if it really bothers you, but it might change the look of the rest of the top (of course since it's white, wouldn't notice much difference).

The perfectionist in me broke down and used the heat gun. :grin2:

It looks much better, and like Accents said, with it being white, I don't really see a difference in the look. Maybe some faint lines, but I really only see those when I'm looking at a certain angle. I'm reminding myself this is my first candle and it's ok to have imperfections!

I just need to make a note to not make the wick so tight next time, at least the heat gun makes for an easy fix!!

Thanks everyone for your help!!

As above has said - when you pour wax it hits the wick and cools and clings at the wick first - then the rest cools, which causes the problem you see. You can try removing the wick from the holder after it just sets so the cooled wax "follows" the rest - but sometimes you cause more damage doing that, plus its not practical if doing candles in bulk. I do it just for myself so its not a problem. Don't know what kind of soy you are using but pouring as cool as possible should help.

HTH

Do not push it down with your fingers....geesh. Unless you want fingerprints, or smears. Sorry, but I wouldn't want to buy a candle that someone had done that to.

It IS caused by the wax shrinkage. Your wax level is higher when the wax is hot, as it cools, the level lowers and sometimes pulls away from the wick as shown. It is NOT caused from your wick being too tight.

Simply re-heat the top and level it out.....problem solved.