New - what kind of soy wax?

I am researching making my first container candles. I would like to use soy wax instead of paraffin. I was thinking of ordering thru Candlescience and perhaps trying their Ecosoya CB 135 . My concern is (sorry, I don't know why this stuff is underlined and I can't get it off :embarasse) that the candlescience website says:

'Some people find that the appearance of a soy candle is the most important characteristic. These folks are willing to give up just a bit on fragrance throw to get the best looking candles with the least frosting'

A a very beginner, I don't want to 'give up' fragrance throw and to get frosting on my candles would be very frustrating just starting out. Can soy be used with good throw and no frosting or should I choose another wax? I'm in PA, so I'd like someone fairly close. Also what are 'wet spots'? I don't want those either :o

I am researching making my first container candles. I would like to use soy wax instead of paraffin. I was thinking of ordering thru Candlescience and perhaps trying their Ecosoya CB 135 . My concern is (sorry, I don't know why this stuff is underlined and I can't get it off :embarasse) that the candlescience website says:

'Some people find that the appearance of a soy candle is the most important characteristic. These folks are willing to give up just a bit on fragrance throw to get the best looking candles with the least frosting'

A a very beginner, I don't want to 'give up' fragrance throw and to get frosting on my candles would be very frustrating just starting out. Can soy be used with good throw and no frosting or should I choose another wax? I'm in PA, so I'd like someone fairly close. Also what are 'wet spots'? I don't want those either :o

Hi & welcome to Soy..lol..i am just starting with the ecosoya 135 too. I think the ecosoya adv. is the one that says if you want to give up alittle F.O. to have a better looking candle (no frosting) go with adv. My Ecosoya 135 frosted on me yesterday, but smelled great! i have learned just by doing acouple candles dye & dyeless yesterday, I think i like the dyeles better..so dont have to worry about ftosting. I like the smell of a candle more then the look. I think the ivory color anyways. Ecosoya Adv does resist frosting, but you do loose your Scent throw..So I hear! I have not tried it yet.

HTH..& Good luck!

I am in PA too...Lancaster County... for wax I would highly recommend people in Quakertown at www.candlesandsupplies.com . They have a soy sample pack that you can try the different kinds before buying a lot. Also shipping will be saved as they are PA. Also, if you are doing this for a business, you can get awesome prices through them that are in many ways as cheap as you would get going to the source when you are buying pallets.

good luck

I have been pouring soy candles for 7 yrs and in my opinion have found people prefer scent throw over appearance. Since my candles are dye-free frosting isn't an issue but I do get wet spots from time to time. Truthfully I don't think customers even notice...they are too busy sniffing the jars.

Like the other post says...buy samples of different soys and see which one works best for you and which one gives you the results of what you personally think a soy candle should be.

You can ask 100 soy users and they will all give you different opinions! :-)

Good luck and remember to have fun with it!

Karen

I just bought a sample of Ecosoya CB 135 from Candle Science and poured my first jars with it today. I used 1 oz of FO per lb of the soy wax. Even tho I am waiting for the candles to cure I am getting a wonderful cold throw from the wax!

I have used this wax before but never bought it from Candle Science before now. The EcoSoya I bought from CS was the same quality as from other suppliers I have used. HTH

I am in PA too...Lancaster County... for wax I would highly recommend people in Quakertown at www.candlesandsupplies.com .

good luck

Thanks! I'm not doing this for business, but like the idea that I can order and pick up from there and save on shipping! I'm 'next door' to you in eastern York County but DH travels frequently to the Allentown area for work, so perhaps I can persuade him to stop buy on larger orders. I'll take a look!

Nancy

I am from Lanc. Co. too. I've been using KY125 soy and love it but the shipping costs from Kentucky are high. I only make candles as a hobby so I hate to change. At this point I know exactly which size jar/wick/FO work for me and I don't want to start testing all over again.

Hi and welcome to the world of soy!

I am devoted to my 135! But I do tweak it a little to get rid of the frost issues. I max it with scent so that a lot of my friends don't even burn it because it scents up the room with the CT. Right now I use 2oz FO PP wax with a bit of beeswax and some Eco PB to harden it up. The PB helps with the frosting I found. There are other issues, with coloring dark colors I have to add a UV inhibitor as I live in florida, and I don't cool it warm as it mottles (!). I cool at room temp 70-72 degrees.

If you need any help, feel free to ask me.

How are you wicking your candles? I use RRD, Hemp, and Performa.

Good luck!

Ilona

You could try every blend out there but there is not guarantee of frost issues with every pour. Room temperature while pouring and storage sometimes promotes it even more. And no that is false, A lot of people would regard scent throw over appearance. There are a lot of chandlers on this board who sell big regardless of frosting. They just explain that its the nature of the wax which it is. You could max it with scent but remember those waxes are already tested in the manufacturer telling you how far you can overload. People tend to think they can go further and that isn't true. Check on Golden Brands on this board and it gives you the fo load of each wax. GB 444 was tested with the highest fo load and candlescience does sell it along with GB415 which I enjoy. So you could have your hubby pick up some samples from them.

Everybody has to do what works for them when it comes to soy wax. It is unstable and that is the challenge but if you play around enough you get the hang of it.

Well I ended up ordering the CB135 from Candlescience. Even though they're a few states south, I thought the shipping on my total order was really reasonable.

I'm not selling my candles so I'm not worried about what customers will think, although since I'm giving them to family, I do want them as nice as they can be. We'll see how it goes.

I also bought a handful of 1 oz. fragrance oils to try. I figured I'd make a 12 oz. candle with each FO to test how they burn before I order more. Should I scent at 1 oz. per lb of wax for soy? If so, I'll have a little bit of each FO left over. Can I use this same wax to make tarts or is it not hard enough? I figure a tart or two would use up the extra FO.

thanks!

I am using the gb 415 and loving it the only thing that drives mecrazy with it is having to wait for it to cool i mix joywax with it which seems too help eith the frosting but think I will just go with the 415 when the joy wax is gone I really like this wax

Hi, I use EcoSoya CB135 and I don't have any scent throw problems. I find this soy to be the easiest to resist frosting but you have to be careful with it because it can be tempermental! Warming your jars and pouring around 110% seems to help frosting issues. I was using NatureWax C-3 and liked it but the guys at Candlescience recommended trying the EcoSoya CB135. I am close enough to them to pick up so shipping charges is not an issue for me. And, they are GREAT to work with... just a wonderful group of people!

Since you are in PA (my home state!), you might also want to considering looking at Filmore Containers' website...I think they are around Lancaster. They have NatureWax C-3 and their prices are reasonable. Also, they have great prices on jars... and their shipping charges for me in NC are not so bad. And, they also ship pretty fast. They also allow pick up... I am going to place an order around the next time I go to PA to visit family so I can meet them... I like to know the people I deal with, when possible. They seem like a decent company. Their website is www.filmorecontainer.com.

Good luck, candlemaking is very addicting!!

Oh, sorry forgot to add this... I find that with CB135, depending on the fragrance, that I get best results with 1.5 oz. of fragrance per pound of wax. But, you really need to work that out when you are testing. Also, CB135 is a little soft for making tarts. It does not release well from tart molds...I use Ecosoya PB for my tarts and that works great.

http://www.fillmorecontainer.com/default.asp

That is the correct website for Fillmore Container. ;)

I pick up from there and they ARE very nice and great to work with. The last time I was there they forgot to load lids for one of the jar styles I bought. Keith called me and said they would ship them out. THEY paid the shipping and I received them the next day.

I've been using another soyblend but decided to test the C-3. Poured a few candles with just the C-3 and they were pretty good. But now I've decided to blend another soy wax with it and I like the look and throw a lot better in what I've tested so far.

Maggie

Maggie... thanks for the correct website for Fillmore Containers... I have them saved in my favorites and I always mess up Filmore vs. Fillmore! I've been very pleased with what I ordered from them so far. I am hoping to get by there sometime in the summer to meet them.

I would be interested in hearing what soy you are blending with the C-3 because while I like the EcoSoya CB135, like I said before, it's not perfect.

I realize that most likely I am going to end up in the long run with blending also to get what I am looking for. If you want to keep your blend idea private, I understand.

Thanks for the save!

I actually live fairly close to Fillmore Container. It's only about 40 minutes or so from my house. I checked their website and I thought they had a 50lb minimum for wax, although I could be wrong...I've looked at so many sites now.

The 50lb would be waaaaay too much for me. Maybe I'll graduate to that but for right now, 10 lbs seems like a lot! :D

I get my CB135 from CS also and I love it! I get a great scent throw with 7-7.5% FO load. If I do not get a great throw with that amount I ditch the scent. Unless I really like it and just want the scent for me, then I will bump it up.