I'm sorry to ask this dumb question...

If you find out the weight of the empty mold, you could probably use the "container" calculator at http://www.candletech.com/calculator/container.php

Wax is denser than water, meaning that the same weight in wax will take up less space than the water, so there would have to be a conversion involved.

thats the exact thing I was after xx I knew I'd read it somewhere, thanks both of you for your answers xx

I did know but have forgotten because my gorgeous hubby made me a spreadsheet on Office Excel that works it all out for me. I type in the amount of water in grams and it tells me how much wax in grams and how much stearin and fragrance oil too - lazy cow aint i LOL.

He has just told me that you weigh the water that it takes to fill the mould, in grams, then multiply that by .85 and that gives the amount of wax in grams. I don't argue with him, he's the clever one :D

Anjie,x.

ooops to late! someone found the calculator.

He has just told me that you weigh the water that it takes to fill the mould, in grams, then multiply that by .85 and that gives the amount of wax in grams.

I've also seen that conversion factor somewhere, but couldn't remember where or what exactly the number was. The calculator is probably just using that conversion.

If you are using parafin, there are approx 20 fluid ounces per weighted pound.

Fill your mold with water, get the fuid ounces and divide by 1.25. That will give you the weight of wax you need.

20 / 1.25 = 16

Soy wax and soy blends are different.

Once you figure out how much you need for a mold, write it on the side of the mold in permanent marker.