Parasoy and fo

I have been using ezsoy but am experimenting w/ J223 added to it. All of the fo's I have throw good in soy. Does anyone know if fo's that throw in straight soy will usually throw in parasoy blends? I have only tried 1 fo so far (summer citrus from BC-did great) in 75% soy/25% J223 but I plan on trying with a larger % of the J223.

Thanks for the replies. The tops are completely smooth after pouring and after burning, none of that roughness I was getting after pure soy burn. BUT I am having trouble wicking the 8 oz square mason jar with BC summer citrus. This is the only fo I have tried so far with the new blend I've been doing and I don't want to give up before moving to another fo but dang it is getting old. I like CD wicks and would like to stay with that, but last night I couldn't get a decent mp or flame with a CD 18.

I use 75/25 paraffin/soy and I have fabulous results. I use more paraffin than soy. I love what the soy adds to the paraffin.. cleaner burn and overall beautiful results. I have fabulous throw in almost everything I pour. I have found that anything with citrus definitely needs to be wicked up.. sometimes a couple of sizes.

Brenda I meant to ask your opinion on what percentage of soy and paraffin you have found works the best for throw, wicking. Is there a big difference in 50/50 vs 75/25?

Sorry about the delay in replying - I was out of town all day yesterday. I have currently gotten my 50/50 blend to satisfaction using zinc wicks. The cold and hot throw is wonderful curing 48 hours - better if I am patient. I will be working on testing upping my soy to either 70/30 or 75/25 since soy is cheaper than paraffin AND I can drive to pick up soy rather than having it shipped. My biggest battle was finding the correct pouring temp to eliminate the frosting. I am getting nice smooth tops and a clean burn (typically) using 8% fo load. I am hoping to experiment more soon with higher %'s of soy. BTW - I am using J50 / 464.

I think I will try a 50/50 blend tomorrow. My supplier recommended CD or LX wicks if I blend. What works best for you? I like the way CD burns but it's so hard to place the wick right because of the curl.

Thanks for the responses. I cannot get BC summer citrus wicked, have tried CD, LX and ECO - they all start off good but then the flame gets wimpy and poor mp. Maybe it's just that fo - I only used 1 oz. I did add 1 gm of uv inhibitor.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry about the delay in replying - I was out of town all day yesterday. I have currently gotten my 50/50 blend to satisfaction using zinc wicks. The cold and hot throw is wonderful curing 48 hours - better if I am patient. I will be working on testing upping my soy to either 70/30 or 75/25 since soy is cheaper than paraffin AND I can drive to pick up soy rather than having it shipped. My biggest battle was finding the correct pouring temp to eliminate the frosting. I am getting nice smooth tops and a clean burn (typically) using 8% fo load. I am hoping to experiment more soon with higher %'s of soy. BTW - I am using J50 / 464.

If you don't mind me asking, what temp are you pouring the 50/50?

Thanks, Katinka

Thanks for the responses. I cannot get BC summer citrus wicked, have tried CD, LX and ECO - they all start off good but then the flame gets wimpy and poor mp. Maybe it's just that fo - I only used 1 oz. I did add 1 gm of uv inhibitor.

What size jar are you using?

If you don't mind me asking, what temp are you pouring the 50/50?

Thanks, Katinka

I have found that pouring cool is the best for my workshop environment, so I pour around 130*. Pouring any higher my candles cool to quickly and will crack since I don't cover them while they set up. Also, pouring hotter than 130* I was still getting frost. HTH ~ Brenda

I use LX wicks and they work great! :)

Grandma can you guide me on what size LX wick to use for a 3" diameter jar using a 50/50 blend? I am currently testing LX and CD's against my notorious zincs. So far I am finding that LX wicks are way off on the recommended sizes. I am about ready to give up on them :undecided

I would be forever grateful :bow: ~ Brenda

What size jar are you using?

I am trying to wick 8oz mason, 14 oz vase jar and 11 oz tumbler. I still can't get any of them wicked to my satisfaction. I finally get an ok mp with the vase jar using a CD 7 (50/50 J223/415) and am getting some mushroom and soot. Maybe I just need to go back to pure soy and go dyeless.:undecided