Packaging idea

LynnS

OK I package my potpourri in the cello bags with raffia and label.Looks fine to me and some do the same.Was told the cello bag is not good for this.Not nice looking.UMMMM.

I can use the window bags and I have no problem but must up the price and that could be a problem.Sell it for one price and then they wonder WHY go up???Simple the bags cost more.

Any other ideas.I am lost and really not creative if this doesn't work. :o

LynnS

Gees, I don't have any ideas but I think it looks great in cello bags. In fact, I think all the potpourri I've ever bought was in a cello bag. In cello you can see if you are getting pieces or a bunch of dust. Hope someone else has some ideas for ya.

Thank You both for the replies.I am sticking with cello because the window bags do not show the vibrant colors.Also cannot smell the potpourri in those bags like you can the cello bags.

My friend told me this since she had some at work on her desk.I told her this is about the only way to package and she said I just was told it didn't look good in cello.Not the bow or the label just it didn't look good packaged that way.

LynnS

Guest EMercier

To be honest with you, how many have told you that? If it's overwhelming, then I'd think about it. If it's one person, who cares? I've had that before and most of the time it's from people who don't buy and even if I changed it they still wouldn't buy. Some people just like to complain. Stick with what works for you. I always see this packaged in cello bags and I honestly think it looks really nice because you can see everything that you are going to get. Also, the person that complained will probably go to a regular store and buy this in a cello bag and would not complain. I'm tired of people complaining to the little people, but pay for crap with the bigger stores and don't say a thing. Sorry for going on, but stick with what you have as long as it works for you. :D

When you were told a cello bag is not good, did they say why? I wonder because I don't see anything wrong with using cello. In fact this cello material (polypropylene) is what will keep the scent in, as opposed to regular plastic bags (polyethylene) which will not retain the scent as well.

I have some of the same questions that EMercier brought up about who complained. When I was purchasing mine from a shop, being able to see the product through the bag and get a little whiff got my attention. At home, I would put whatever amount I wanted in a crystal bowl, reclose the bag, and store in a cabinet.

EMercier and Lucy

It was 2 people and I kinda was telling my friend the only way I know and what we candlemakers do.She said just telling you what others said.I have ordered more.I have used about all I had for some favors and will do the cello.Friend did say you could really smell it in the bag and I know that.Knocks your socks off.

Luci, you got me thinking and I am going to start a new candle jar with the idea of potpourri too.Going to do away with a few jars that will not sell in this area.8 ounce and 16 ounces are about all I sell. Now will go with a 16 ounce apothecary along with my 16 ounce country jar.Going on my website too.

The potpourri in the stores is the worst stuff I have ever purchased.If you threw it at a window it MIGHT break and absolutely no smell whatsoever but only a buck LOL.I thought I would do firestarters but it fizzled by the way side after buying that junk.What we buy should not be used to burn.It is the real thing and gorgeous.I am going to continue cello except for my new candle.All in stores bought is cello but junk inside.

LynnS

Guest EMercier

IMHO, 2 people don't make or break your sales unless they are wholesale accounts or big spenders that generate decent revenue for you. I would just tell them that you appreciate the suggestion, but for cost reasons you will stick with the cello and you will re-visit it in the future if you get an overwhelming response.

I've had this happend and those are people that ask for the cheapest thing.

Lynn, the gift I received really was nice. The apoth jar had a cork top and had a thin ribbon tied around the neck. Very simple. It was purchased in one of those pricey little stores in downtown Charleston.

I used to buy potpourri for my personal use from a gift shop that was incredible. It ran right at $20 for about a 4-cup bag. It was packaged in cello, tied with a satin ribbon, and had a very nice foil label. Most of the shops near me carry potpourri for at least that much or more. They cater to the tourists and upper income folks.

If you have some nice jars you won't be using for candles, I would definitely try using some of them for potpourri.

I sold some potpourri at a craft fair last fall. I didn't have cello bags on hand and time was short, so I improvised and used acetate boxes that I use to package my votives. I just taped two sides, put my label on the lid, and tied some raffia around the box. If someone wanted to sniff, the other two sides of the box were not taped and they could give the box a gentle squeeze and catch a whiff of it that way. It worked well for the craft fair, especially since the boxes could stack. But if I hadn't piddled around until the last minute, I would have opted for cello bags, too. I wouldn't worry about what two people have to say.

Luci,

It "must" be a tourist area like you mentioned.That is high but I bet they get that price or they wouldn't do it.I sell mine for $4.00 and about 2 cups.I have to go with the cello.Cost efficient.Jars will be a little different.I have seen potpourri in those but didn't think about it.I saw candy once but turned me off.Seems like not even packaged.

I pretty much just do craft shows and also for some friends but I am starting to wonder what is going on with shows.I used to not be able to get in and now I call and get in.Seems like plenty of space.Usually told we are full and a waiting list.Called today and said I do candles.I thought she would say we have enough of those but she was fine with it.I get sales and lots stop and sniff all of my candles but people live more that 25 miles and never get repeat sales.

LynnS

Why not try those plastic jars in the houseware section( they are with the salt shakers and sugar bowls) of Wally World to put the potpourri in? You would have to charge for the jar of course plus whatever you have in the potpourri. Just a suggestion.

Chauna

Chauna1,

That is a suggestion.Plastic is cheap.What I am also wanting and might be what you have mentioned is the salt shakers. Another project I want to start soon is carpet freshener and will be buying some baking soda.Just forgot how much FO to add per lb of soda????I will check out these jars and see if what I want for carpet freshener.

LynnS

Personally, I'm sticking with the cello for potpourri. I have been thinking of experimenting with a cardboard bottom like Candle Man suggested. I also like the clear acetate boxes from Sunshine and Frontier, but that will definitely add to the cost of packaging a good bit.

I agree with others, cello it is cheaper and looks fine. But some people want something that looks classier. The potpourri in the plastic jars may appeal to them more. Who knows? Worth a try.

As far as the recipe for carpet freshener. Do a search. I know someone posted their recipe. I think it was Broadzilla or something similar to that.

HTH

:o

Chauna

I live in Ohio so most definetly will have to stick with cello but going to look for those salt shakers.I think my cello looked good.Might change to a prettier ribbon but really I must be cost efficient especially when some don't want to pay $5.00 for a soy candle.

The only time I would think about boxes or the window bags would be gift baskets.I think for those the nicer packaging would work.Like a Mother's Day basket. Get a little fancier then and adding the cost would be easier.

Chauna,Thanks for the recipe.Trying that this week with my new jar.

LynnS

Lynn,

What about giving them a choice? Just package a couple in fancier packaging and charge accordingly. If they move great if not it's only a few packages you can us in baskets. See how quick your complainers choose cello when it's cheaper for the same amount of potpourri. Don't you love how people love to tell home crafters what they should do but never give a thought to what they buy in the stores? I have people grimace at my prices on electric candles at shows ( and they are cheap, with a pan & I decorate around them. I've even had a few reasonable customers seem surprised that they get all of that included "because the crafter down there has them for the same price but not as nice as these"). Then I was at the mall over Christmas and the candle shop in there gave me their schpeil on their electrics and how they couldn't keep them in stock. They cost 5.00 more than mine!! GRRRR

Glo

Gloworm

I was told by someone who said "People sell tart burners for $20.00".I said "Why not they cost them wholesale and it isn't cheap.Then the shipping etc".No more was said.

I bet that store liked your electric candles and wanted to get a feel on how you do.Then tell you we cannot keep them in stock.Someday it might be that way with you.I am sure you don;'t want to make alot and just have them sit around.You want to make sure they sell after all that work.At shows this year I am going to take orders and will be happy to deliver within a certain radius and have that also on my website.

I just got a long distance call.I work from home so just answer Hello but the person hung up.I have a name and number but the only thing I can think of is a possible customer.Doggone it.Hope they call back!!!!!!!!!!!!

LynnS