Gonna Jump In...

kari357

Ok ladies, I've been contemplating making soap for over 6 months now, reading your posts and in awe of your pics. The lye thing really had me a bit apprehensive. I finally got up the nerve and ordered a kit from Soapmakers Garden and a mold from Misty Creek. Received my supplies last week. I just got home from work (nights) with a few days off, so I am going to bed now and when I awaken, I'm just gonna jump in and do it! Should I mix the lye outside or might I survive doing it in the kitchen! Wish me luck!

Kari

Hi Kari,

That's the best way to do it is to just "Jump In". Just make sure you take all of the precautins needed. You're gonna love making soap. As for the mixing of my lye I know alot of people mix their's outside but I put on one of those little paper type painters mask before mixing it. I've had no problem with smelling of any fumes. HTH Can't wait to see those first pics. :D

I mix my lye in the kitchen. Just make sure that you are wearing all of your safety gear... especially safety glasses. Some will turn on the vent fan over the stove to help with the fumes... it will make you cough if you get a wiff of it.

Also, make sure that you measure the water first and use COLD water, then add the lye and mix.

And the #1 rule... Make sure that you take a picture and post it in the gallery section.

Best of luck and have fun! :grin2:

Jennifer

Just a small FYI type of thing...I soap in my kitchen and have had problems in the past (specially in winter when the air here is really dry and we have a lot of static) when I go to weigh out my lye. If you have static electricity in your room the lye beads tend to go a bit berserk and jump to places you don't want it. I have since been putting my scale in the sink and measuring there. That way all you have to do is rinse out the sink and not have to worry about how much lye is jumping all over the counter and the floor and, and, and. Good Luck, it's a very rewarding (and addicting) hobby.

Thanks everyone for all of your wonderful tips. I have just awakened and made a fresh pot of coffee. After the cobwebs clear I'm gonna do it!

I purchased some Vitamin E to use as a preservative but have no idea how much to use. Does anyone have any ideas for a 4 pd. batch of soap?

Thanks again everyone for your advice and well wishes, will let you know how it turns out.

Kari