had my first candle request.....

My hairdresser has just asked me to make her a candle, begged in fact.

Now as I'm fairly new, I've explained the possible problems between wax, FO's, testing etc. I'm going to make one, test it, and then make another one.

Question is, as she is going to watch it carefully and know its really a test piece, and I'm not charging, do you think its ok to do it?

She's desperate for something black! with purple in. I was thinking maybe purple chunks with black overpour.

IMHO as long as you have already tested one and are happy with it's performance then I would go for it, that's what our testers are for. Just a suggestion I think I would do black chunks with the purple over pour. I think the black over pour might make it harder to see the purple chunks. This is just my :2cents: lol

Don't want to be a pain but when you test you need to burn the candle all the way down. Things can change a lot as the candle burns. If your hairdresser has to have something right now you may want to look in the gallery at the everlasting pillars. That would be a lot safer with the limited testing you have done.

Are you documenting all your testing? That is the only way you can try to duplicate a candle. Sometimes it is a lot better to take a deep breath and tell a person they will get your first perfected candle. I don't give a tester a candle to burn until I know there won't be any surprises. I look for a tester to evaluate scent throw and burns in different room conditions.

I noticed you are giving your Aunt a hurricane that you only tested for a few minutes. You do not want to get in the habit of doing that kind of thing. In the end your potential customer is going to be disappointed.

Just remember the motto of candle making is testing and safety first.

hiya, thanks for your reply.

Currently I'm only making mental notes as I'm remelting mostly. I'm waiting on some proper FO's coming as opposed to just what they had FO's at hobbycraft, some nice colours, then I'll use what fresh wax I have.

I'll be writing everything down as I go.

I told my hairdresser it may take weeks and she's fine with that, just wants one when she can.

As for my aunties hurricane, I'm not sure what to do now :(

Hobbycraft fo's are PANTS! compared to the stuff I get from sensory perfection and soapsudz. You just have to try some of the proper stuff to see the difference in throw, its amazing.

Anjie,x.

:D I'm waiting on my delivery of FO from sensory perfection and some colours, can't wait.

I'm virtually dragging the postman through the door each morning and raiding his bag lol

OK, I've burned a votive within a glass holder inside the hurricane for the last 3 hours. It's luke warm (the hurricane). How do you know when these have tested ok?

Does that sound ok, or do I need to buy her a bottle of wine instead :D

LOL! I've heard about women like you :laugh2: You wanna be careful! You can get arrested for accosting posties and rumaging in their sacks :D

I too am waiting on a big delivery from Sensory, bigger bottles of the ones i really liked :bliss: :bliss: plus a 'few' extra 50ml's to try (hehe shhhhh don't tell hubby!!)

Anjie,x.

anjie, tell you what a small world it is, my hairdresser is my postmans hubby lol

hiya nattycat, sp got the best then :)

btw, whilst I'm here, you use 1 - 1 1/2oz of FO to 1lb of wax, well the bottles come in 50ml, how do I work out how much that is oz wise?

anjie' date=' tell you what a small world it is, my hairdresser is my postmans hubby lol

hiya nattycat, sp got the best then :)

btw, whilst I'm here, you use 1 - 1 1/2oz of FO to 1lb of wax, well the bottles come in 50ml, how do I work out how much that is oz wise?[/quote']

You're gonna kick yourself when I tell you the answer to your question.....

......weigh the bottle

You too Anjie (I'm Natasha)

If you need anything - gimmie a shout, I have scoured every corner of the earth for the best bargains from moulds, wicks, glassware, wax and other such lovely candle-making stuff and I now have most of my fragrance oil made for me to my specification (I supply sensory p sometimes) so I might have some laying around (who am I kidding, I have 4,000 ounces of oil here) that you might like!

Nat

When testing my 'canes, I burned a votive inside for 8 hours. Figured that would be the max. a customer would do. My Warning recommends only burning the votive for 4 hours. I would put a tea light in the glass holder for your Auntie's 'cane.

• 4 weeks later...