How do you make silicone moulds?

Is it possible to make your own? or is it just, sort of companies that do them and sell them?

I'd like to have a go at bakery candles, like muffins, cookies, biscuits, pies, tarts etc, but would need seperate moulds and can't afford them.

THen I got to thinking, well how are they made, can they be made?

Is it literally, stick something in a box and fill it with silicone?

I mean I saw someones website from here the other day and they had a pork chop dinner! Heavenly only knows how you'd get a mould from for that unless you made it?

anyone any advise?

I may not be the best to ask, but there's a channel that runs a show that shows how stuff is made (discovery maybe?). There was some silicone molds used for making plaster casts of stuff and it looks similiar.

What they did there was make up sheet of silicone, place them on a press, slide them through an oven type deal and while in the press would come together and hold the shape for a few, it'd come out and go through a fan thingy, allowed to cool and taken out of the press.

(Like my technical description?)

May not be much help or it may give ideas, but that's the best I can do!

Pourette sells a two part RTV Silicone for mould making. The directions with it are very simple, its difficult to go wrong...however one package will only make a small mould. I think I also saw a new product on Candlewic's site which is similar. HTH

Janette

I've been looking into making my own moulds, and it's very expensive to use silicone. You don't get much for your money!

I did find a site on it.

http://www.hirstarts.com/moldmake/moldmaking.html#sources

anyway it was giving tutorials and using the different types of silicone. You can get putty type silicone and liquid silicone (both of varying sorts). For the putty silicone you press the shape you want to make a mould out of into the silicone and let it set. The liquid silicone is poured over the mould and then it left to set. The silicone comes in two parts which you mix together and then use.

There'sother things you can use which are cheaper than silicone. One is gelflex - i'm attempting to use that this weekend so i hope it works!!!!!!

Is it possible to make your own? or is it just' date=' sort of companies that do them and sell them?

I'd like to have a go at bakery candles, like muffins, cookies, biscuits, pies, tarts etc, but would need seperate moulds and can't afford them.']

Silicone is very expensive. But you might check out www.flexiblemolds.com

She has alot of bakery type molds at decent prices. I notice you are in the UK, so not sure what the shipping would be. I make bakery candles, but the only mold I use is a pie crust mold, even that isn't totally necessary, just faster. I use muffin tins to make my muffins & cupcakes.

PamR

Is it possible to make your own? or is it just' date=' sort of companies that do them and sell them?

I'd like to have a go at bakery candles, like muffins, cookies, biscuits, pies, tarts etc, but would need seperate moulds and can't afford them.']

Silicone is very expensive. But you might check out www.flexiblemolds.com

She has alot of bakery type molds at decent prices. I notice you are in the UK, so not sure what the shipping would be. I make bakery candles, but the only mold I use is a pie crust mold, even that isn't totally necessary, just faster. I use muffin tins to make my muffins & cupcakes.

PamR

thanks folks, looking into those things :)

can I ask, how you would make a pie crust without a mold?

thanks folks' date=' looking into those things :)

can I ask, how you would make a pie crust without a mold?[/quote']

ignore that, found it, amazing. I'll definately try it that way, thanks xx

I've just lost out on a tart slice mould :( my dad reckons I can make one from cardboard!!

Using liquid rubber is not as easy as you think. The hardest part is not getting tiny air bubbles trapped next to the object you are molding. If you do they will show up in your finished project.

Unlike candles where if you mess up you can re-melt the wax and try again. The rubber is a 2 part liquid you mix and if you mess up then that is product and money wasted.

Here is a link to the best site out there and they have DVD's at great prices.