Burning an awesome soy candle...

:( from Walmart! It is an 11 oz. three layer candle in a cute jar with black metal lid...for only $6.00. I bought the cookie version and so far the top layer is really strong.

Now my question is what kind of soy or soy blend could it be. With my limited soy experience, soy can look opaque but have grainy spots at times...a matte appearance. This is super creamy, smooth, shiny, soft and oily. When I looked in the jar before burning, it reminded me of one of the one pours I tried, but which one escapes me...maybe the J300 or something. The top has circular patterns in the wax...lighter circles and the centers are darker, about the size of a pencil eraser, some larger, some smaller. Hope someone knows what I'm trying to describe.

:smiley2: :smiley2: :smiley2:

:smiley2: :smiley2: :smiley2: :smiley2:

:smiley2: :smiley2: :smiley2: :smiley2: :smiley2: :smiley2:

:smiley2: :smiley2: :smiley2: :smiley2: :smiley2: :smiley2:

:smiley2: :smiley2: :smiley2: :smiley2:

:smiley2: :smiley2: :smiley2:

I'm sure they are using their own top secret wax, but does a similar animal exist in the waxes that are available to us?

From your description I'd guess it's a paraffin container blend with some soy in it. Probably less than 50%, maybe a lot less. The circles you're seeing sound like the way a blend with a lot of petrolatum (or microcrystalline wax and oil) sometimes acts when it cools quickly. Convection cells of hot rising wax make a pattern on top before it congeals. From that and the soft, oily feel, we can presume it's a one-pour blend.

Thanks, Top, for your thoughts and the explanation. I always wondered what caused those circles! I am inclined to believe it is a high percentage of paraffin as well even though I just had another jump into my cart this morning :o and have the hang tag. Capitalization is theirs, not mine:

On the front it says: 3-Layer Scented SOY Candle

On the back it lists the Benefits of SOY: Clean Burning, Long Burning, Environmentally Safe, Biodegradable, Highly Fragranced, Supports America's Farmers, NO LEAD WICKS

I'm only in the top layer so I'm not sure how the other scents will perform, but so far it is very strong. It looks like a tiny wick, but reached a full meltpool very quickly for the size of the jar.

Only a guess but that's what it sounds like. I recently picked up a Votivo tumbler and you could describe it the same way. If there's any soy in it they don't mention it.

For the larger producers, soy is mainly a blending ingredient because it doesn't work well by itself. There's no real standard for what constitutes a soy candle except one's marketing needs - no particular percentage has to be in it.

One of the soybean farming orgs is pushing a 70% standard, but you don't need a seal of approval from the farming industry if you have the sales channels and marketing power.

Dang how naive I have been.:embarasse

When I see a 'soy' candle, I have always just naturally assumed it was all soy!

Do people make 100% soy candles then, or are they all mixed with paraffin and just called soy?

sinjun

If it says, 100% soy wax, then that's the kind of wax it contains plus additives (like color, fragrance, UV stabilizer, stearic acid, etc.). If it says "soy," then it means it contains soy wax... but who knows how much... or what else the candle contains... :wink2:

I don't know that there are definitions established and standards set/regulated by the government.

Kinda like chocolate chip cookies ... we call 'em chocolate chip, but they are not made of 100% chocolate chips. Lots of other ingredients in there. ;)

After reading this I was at WalMart and I bought the same candle only different scent. I've burned it 3 times now and each time it smoked really bad leaving black on the jar. It's also leaving a lot of hang up of wax on one side of the jar.The scent throw is really good (plum something) but can't stand watching that black smoke circling up into the air. The wick looks like it could be a cotton type wick. I finally said the heck with it but I really like the container so I just put it on a candle warmer so I can at least enjoy the scent & melt down the wax and do a repour with my own soy wax. Of course not for sale just for myself b/c the container is so darn cute. To me I think it also has a lot more paraffin in it than soy. The coloring is real nice and no frosting at all. Cindy/WI