wicks for pillars

tucker

I'm having a major problem with blow outs on 3" pillars. I use a #1 cotton round wick as suggested by the woman that owns the candle shop and wholesale here locally. She claims this is what she uses all the time. However, no matter how precise I am at centering the wick ( I use a ruler) they still manage to burn crooked and want to run down one side. PLEASE, any suggestions.

I use 30 ply flat waxed for my 3" pillars. I like the waxed wick as it help to keep the wick nice and straight when I'm pouring, and it seems to burn better for me than those I tried without wax. I suppose the wax you're using, the amount of FO, and dye, could also make a difference......

Thanks gals (and guys if any). Funny you mentioned waxed wick. I"m pouring a couple as we speak. This time I pre waxed the wicks, damn things are comming loose in the molds. Hope to be able to retighten them sfter final pour (four layers, doing rustic pillars) if they turn out I'll post them. Wow, they sure are a lot of work. This is only my third attempt.

Try twisting the wick. They usually curl one direction. I twist the wick several times before I pour. When they burn, the directional curl doesn't stay in one place, it moves slightly and it helps. Hope this made sense.

That's one I hadn't heard before. I have 6 3x6s tilted layers in process right now & I'm gonna try this. Thanks for the tip.

Somthing else that works with wicks that curl is to set it off center so that there is room for the wick to curl and and the flame itself willl be centered. It will curl in the direction that the "V" in the braid points UP. I've done this with HTPs and it does work. Had a store bought candle that had a flat braid that was set like this and it did give a centered mp but I haven't actually made one myself. I don't have any #1 rounds to see if they have the "V".