Inspiration/Ideas needed!

nayarx8

Hi!

Im going to CO next week to visit family, and Im wanting to make a choker necklace for my sis in law. She doesnt really have favorite colors; not a pink girl. She does like purple, green, and blue though. She is kind of a rocker-chick type. I want to something cool for her (she's 23 years old), but I lost my jewelry-making "mojo", and Im drawing a blank on a cool design for her. Maybe something with the wire designs Ive been posting pics of lately? Anybody have any ideas? Im open to anything/everything. I only this weekend to make it as Im leaving on Tuesday.

Thanks in advance,

Linaya

I love chokers! She sounds like me- cept i'm 34 yr old Mom and wife....and wish I could get away with being 'the rocker' type. So I live vicariously with surprise/edgy jewelry here or there.:)

I like them nice and wide as opposed to just a chain. Not too frilly. What would be really kewl is a tri level front. Either all of it or just the front say 6 inches? coming off of a thicker expanse... of a longer, less longer and even less longer chain/wire design. Does that make sense? Maybe have a charm or some type of thing hanging off the lowest or shortest length. Black and silver materials would be nice with a blue accent here or there... lol- sounds beautiful to me!

lol i guess you could label me as a 'rock' chick i've gone by punk and goth too (never been goth but forsome reason if your fav color is black and thats the only color your shirts come in ehh people forget how slimming black is) but yeah anyway all of my chokers are a black cord of some sort with some type of silver charm usually something that will settle nicely in my little circle hole thingy in my collar bone (yes i'm edumacated) my favorite is a resizable black cord with a large square shapped charm with a black onyx stone in the middle i would def go with a black silver combo cause it will go with anything. also something to think of which i have never found one a again and lost my original was a black and white cameo absolutly gorgeous and it hung from a black knit choker. even a victorian style cross or something i can't think of what else their called but something big and fancy looking would really 'rock'

ETA if you want me to post pics of the stuff i have just let me know

peacock beads have all those colors in them. Doesn't sound like she's a pearl girl but there are peacock pearls and if you got to firemountain they also have peacock beads. I made earrings using peacock feathers and they were pretty cool, my sis loved them.

Wow guys, I cant thank you enough! GREAT ideas! I did start a design last night out of a wire work book, but Im not really liking it now that Ive gotten most of it put together. The design is called Angel Wings and its made almost completely out of wire. My problem Im having is trying to NOT buy any more beads, and use what I already have. Unfortunately, I dont have a big selection of black beads. I did have a teardrop-shaped aqua pendant that Im trying to use, because I have smaller aqua teardrops I can use along with the pendant. I though the aqua and silver wire would be a cool look. But, Its not turning out how I wanted.

jldorrington,

Would you mind posting the pics of the stuff you have? Thank you!

Another idea I had is: do you remember those flower Swarovski Crystal bookmarks I did a few weeks ago? I have a choker started with the white flower beads (not the pink ones), and using just black round beads. Im wondering if this might work? I can post a pic if you want.

Also, my sis in law is pretty skinny, and she reminded me the other day that she has a really small neck, so Im not even sure how many inches I should make this! Maybe 12"to 14"?

Depending on how you finish it off & depending on what you have available- it would be best to finish off the ends in a way that allows adjustments. I'm not that familiar with wire jewelry and the making of it, but for example if it was a chain, you would use a larger loop chain (just on the ends if necessary) and you could use the opposing hook clasp on any of the links. The excess just hangs down the back of the neck a bit in a neat detail.

But again, I don't know how much this would complicate matters in regards to the style of what you are making.

I used to be a "rocker chick" but back in the day we were called headbangers. When I was 23 I had a silver razor blade dangling from my neck.

I did a quick search on Fire Mountain Gems and found this.... Big round black circles (or loops)...

P1992JWB.jpg

jldorrington,

Thank you so much for posting the pics! I might do a second necklace similar to one of yours, and another necklace using the wire wigjig.

Blazerina,

Good idea about adding an adjustable chain; it will work perfectly with one of the designs Im leaning towards doing!

Bubblebath,

I love that "crochet" look! Is there a pattern for it on the FMG website? Dont think I could attempt that w/o directions!