faking a fitment?

I ordered some sample lids (square / black / metal) to try with the Libbey square votive jars. They are the correct size and look great BUT they have no fitments to keep them snug on the jar :cry2: . I have visions of dropped candles galore when people try to pick them up to sniff.

Can anyone suggest an idea of a way to fake a fitment...some kind of silicone or crafty goo or whatever??? I temporarily rigged one by layering electrical tape inside the lip of the lid. It works, but sure looks funky :confused: and can't be sold that way.

Help from any crafty genious' out there?

How about those really thin pieces of cork? I've seen them with adhesive on the back, where you just pull off the paper and apply it to whatever. You could cut it in thin strips that would fit up inside the lid, and stick it down.

Not sure if you can make your own, but I wouldnt use them without.

I went to a craft show once and saw the same type of metal lids on top of apothecary jars, i went to pick it up by the handle and woops, the large 10oz candle shattered at me feet. The woman looked at me like she knew it was going to happen and refused to let me pay for the candle.