What should I do!

I was so excitied to begin my new hobby! But, my fast candle came out cracked on the side although it smelled lovely. I tried my second candle last night! Cranberry Citrius the color was horrible! Almost pink (I used dye chips) the top was sunken in and m feelings were hurt! I am considering giving up because I come online everyday and see such beautiful masterpieces and I wonder....Am I a candle artist?????? Please help!:cry2:

Hello and welcome to this hobby.

First, it would help to know which type of wax you are using, at what temp you poured your first candle, how fast it cooled and so on, that way people can better help you.

The crack could be from cooling too fast. The pink could be a couple of reasons. Were you trying to get red? Red is a tricky color to get and most people add other colors to the red dye chips to get a true red. The sinking could just be the nature of the wax if you are using a pillar wax. They shrink like that and you have to poke releif holes and do a repour.

Have you read the basic instructions to the left? That would be a great help also. Plus just continue to research and know that this hobby takes a lot of trial and error, because once you get these initial problems solved, then you get to contend with correct wicking. :)

Have fun, read lots, experiment lots and ask questions. That's how we all learn. :)

Don't give up just yet, everyone has to start somewhere.

Keep practising & before long you'll be making fine candles.

Sounds like you needed to do a repour on the sunken top candle.

As the top of the wax is setting up you need to make holes in it, I use a skewer & wiggle it about gently to make the holes a little bigger, then pour in some more of your wax at a temp. a little higher than the setting wax, til its level with the original level of your candle.

You may need to do this more than once.....that is if you're making pillar candles.

If you're making containers a single repour is usually enough, though the waxes I use don't usually need any repour in containers.

Try using the search at the top of the page for tons more amazing info & good luck.

Sally.

Shoot....I wonder all the time if I am an artist, especially when I see the awesome stuff people post here. But I really dont think I'll ever stop making candles.

Take your time, You'll get it! Learning how to do it is the fun part...atleast for me. Take pictures of each creation and put them side by side, then you'll see the difference and how much better you are getting with each one.