Wicking info for pillars needed here

I would be curious to know the answer to that to. I have used the pick a wick database before, but if you look at it you get about every answer there can be under the planet...LOL. I would think that a 24 ply would be to big. Anybody willing to share what they use? There isn't a lot of information in the search of this small of pillar. There is lot's of informatin for the the 3" and bigger in diameter.

Join the frustration of those who have tried to wick a 2" pillar. There have been a few on the board who have been successful, however, I've found it exceedingly difficult. Oh, I can get one to burn for up to 3, maybe 3.5 hours but not any longer than that before they have a blow-out. The only way that I can save the candles is if I don't burn them for more than 3 hours at a time. I've tried for about a year on and off using OK6228, 1343 and 4045...still haven't found a wick that holds up or isn't too big after all that time...and I have tried LX, CD, HTP and RRD wicks. I am so jealous of those that have been able to do it...I wonder if they can burn them for longer than a few hours and if they have tested them continuously to the end. Someone pipe up here because I can't remember who were the successful ones.

The criterion for success would be the ability to marathon burn them without a blowout?

Good question!!! Is the ability to burn continuously until the candle is done, a good burn?? Do people actually buy candles and then never extinguish them until they're burned out?

I use 24 ply flat on my 2" pillars, have never had a burn-out, but then again, I never really burn them longer than 3 hours....

Good question!!! Is the ability to burn continuously until the candle is done, a good burn?? Do people actually buy candles and then never extinguish them until they're burned out?

I use 24 ply flat on my 2" pillars, have never had a burn-out, but then again, I never really burn them longer than 3 hours....

It wouldn't be a bad goal. That indicates a well balanced candle. I don't play with these molds very much except to make test candles without using a lot of wax (for checking mottling and stuff). I burn them sometimes for relatively short times but I haven't worried about optimizing wicking. Maybe I'll take a shot at this.

I think it would be easiest with square braid but I'm not gonna bother wicking 2-inch molds. Something that comes as a wick assembly will have to suffice.

I just tested 2" pillars with Dutch chocolate and let me tell you, the FO is so heavy, I started with a 24 flply. It burned great on the 1 1/2 hours and then the flame kept conking out on me. Tried a 73 HTP same thing. Finally got a decent 2 hour burn from a 83 HTP. Next burn was 3 hours and good.

The problem is that the flame has to be hot enough melt the wax and to draw the wax up into the wick and burn it off. The heavy FO just seemed to clog up the wick and prevent consumption of the wax and FO.

I guess what I am saying is that every FO and wax combo will react differently and its an expensive but necessary process to keep testing.

Soooo you can take others suggestions as a starting point, but they won't always turn out the same for what you are doing.

Made a 2x3 sandlewood, used LX12 --1343 w/stearic and 1st burn was 2 hrs, 2nd burn was 5 hrs with perfect burn. I quit clocking after that but it is set in a container so that it gets absolutely no draft. I'm very pleased w/it and will do this recipe again.

PamW: That's a pretty good burn on that...but I bet you had to babysit it every step of the way...hugging it and trimming the wick every couple of hours. Most people won't do that, that's why I won't give anyone a 2" pillar unless I can get it to burn at least 6 hours without having to worry about it. I haven't been able to do it yet...everytime I think I've got it...something goes wrong about half way through the candle...either the flame drowns out or I get a blowout...Grrrrrr...it's very frustrating, that's why I only go back periodically and try something different. Once I get to the point of wanting to pull my hair out...I put them away for another day.

Robin: How long can you burn yours without trimming the wicks?