Turkey Fryer Questions

I did a search, read the posts and think I am more confused.

I have been using a large deep fryer that finally died last night. (Regal Brand...which are no longer available:cry2: ) It held a full slab of wax....and I LOVED it! The coils were not exposed . I have a Presto, but it is just too small.

I have been reading online about these but some of the questions are unanswered.

About the electric Turkey Fryers:

1.What is the lowest setting on the thermostat?

2. Are the coils exposed?

3. Do you use the spout for draining the oil to dispense he wax? Any clogging issues?

4. What brand do you recommend?

5. It seems that most are 25-28 Quart capacity. Any guess how many Lbs of wax that would be?

I called our Bed, Bath and Beyond and they will not have them until Thanksgiving. We have no K-Mart here. I noticed on the threads that some people bought from these two places. Any ideas, other than them who might carry these?

Thanks for the help. I may wind up with another large deep fryer. It worked SO WELL....Just finding one large enough. I do not like the coils exposed. KWIM?

TIA for any guidance.

M

1.What is the lowest setting on the thermostat? Mine shows 150

2. Are the coils exposed? YES

3. Do you use the spout for draining the oil to dispense he wax? Any clogging issues? Yes, I use the spout to dispense the wax and have never had a clogging issues.

4. What brand do you recommend? I have the Masterbuilt Turk 'n Surf

5. It seems that most are 25-28 Quart capacity. Any guess how many Lbs of wax that would be? I usually have about 4 slabs (give or take)

Do you have any BBQ stores in your area? They usually have them too. I love mine and was thrilled when I found one after Christmas for $70. I bought my first one online at QVC for about $100. I now have one for pillar wax and one for container wax!!!

Ditto on the answers except I use 4627 wax and I can add a full block 25lbs and still have room!

Did you go to Bed Bath & Beyond online? They are there you may just have to pay shipping........or have it shipped to your local store and pick up. Ebay has them......Love mine wish I had started with it instead of the prestos!

Thanks so much, Trish.

I am so nervous about those coils being exposed for some reason.

No choice! This itty bitty Presto just isn't cutting it. I cried real tears when I had to toss my big Regal out. That baby made thousands of candles before it went KaPut!

I guess I might have a challenge finding these Turkey fryers this time of year. I know I can locate the online..but I need one now so I have to brave store hopping!

I got one awhile back but haven't fired it up yet. I'll try and answer some of your questions.

1. I have the 28 qt model with spigot (22 qt does not have one). The lowest setting is 150 degrees with 25 degree increments up to a max of 400 degrees. It also has a 60 minute timer. The controls on mine are manual but they do make one that is digital.

2. Yes, the coils are exposed. The coils are attached to the control assembly and it sits on the side of the unit.

4. Masterbuilt seems to be the most popular,I have also seen one by Charmglow.

The turkey fryers seem to be a seasonal item. I got mine on Ebay from a liquidation store. It had never been used,was just missing the breakaway power cord. I called Masterbuilt and got another one.

Thanks so much, Trish.

I am so nervous about those coils being exposed for some reason.

No choice! This itty bitty Presto just isn't cutting it. I cried real tears when I had to toss my big Regal out. That baby made thousands of candles before it went KaPut!

I guess I might have a challenge finding these Turkey fryers this time of year. I know I can locate the online..but I need one now so I have to brave store hopping!

I want one, but am totally with you on this one.....those coils exposed have me freaked. (scardy cat, yeah I know). Also, everyone says to cover them the first time with already melted wax.....got that..what I DON'T get is poking holes before you turn it on in the future. How do you poke holes in completely cooled wax.....or do you poke the holes before it competely cools, or ? Please someone who is a pro with these things, explain this one to me.:confused:

Try a sporting goods/outdoor store. I got my first one at Gander Mountain for $70.

Yes, the coils are exposed, but if they are covered and *kept* covered there really is no fire hazard (uinless you crank the thermostat up too high). As for poking holes, I've never done it, but I do keep the lid on.

I got the last two at BB&B a couple of weeks ago for $35 a piece. :yay:

Just trust us. I have 3 sitting in my pour shop right now filled with wax. They were all on yesterday and I poured a lot of candles. The reason they say to poke holes is because I have a little water in my 223. When I turn on the Turk, the water will heat first and the steam has to go somewhere. I keep a long 18 inch thermometer in 1 of the holes in the lid. All I do is move it up and down a few times. That creates a place for the expanded wax (or water steam) to come out. I do not go above 200-225(when adding new wax). I think they are so much safer than a presto. The presto magnetic cord always pulls loose and I know one of the days I will get shocked. Heating oil is what the pot is made for. Carole

I did a search, read the posts and think I am more confused.

I have been using a large deep fryer that finally died last night. (Regal Brand...which are no longer available:cry2: ) It held a full slab of wax....and I LOVED it! The coils were not exposed . I have a Presto, but it is just too small.

I have been reading online about these but some of the questions are unanswered.

About the electric Turkey Fryers:

1.What is the lowest setting on the thermostat?

2. Are the coils exposed?

3. Do you use the spout for draining the oil to dispense he wax? Any clogging issues?

4. What brand do you recommend?

5. It seems that most are 25-28 Quart capacity. Any guess how many Lbs of wax that would be?

I called our Bed, Bath and Beyond and they will not have them until Thanksgiving. We have no K-Mart here. I noticed on the threads that some people bought from these two places. Any ideas, other than them who might carry these?

Thanks for the help. I may wind up with another large deep fryer. It worked SO WELL....Just finding one large enough. I do not like the coils exposed. KWIM?

TIA for any guidance.

M

Is this what you are talking about? I'd be interested in knowing more.

B000JPRAT0.16._SCLZZZZZZZ_SS260_.jpg

http://www.target.com

I've been trying to warm up to the idea of these but I can't.

I just don't feel it's right to have wax in direct contact with the heating coils. Apart from any safety issues, I'm positive it affects the wax. You might argue it's not enough to matter, but I don't want to find out. My instincts say to heat the wax as evenly as possible and every real melter is designed to do that because it's the best way.

Obviously the turk'n'surf is a good value for the amount of wax you can melt and people have learned how to use it effectively, but I'm concerned that someone's gonna burn the house down one day. It could be a newbie who hasn't quite absorbed the dos and don'ts, but it could just as well be an experienced person who has a lapse in concentration.