select shades?

mcornwell

I just use oxides, ultras and micas for now. I was wondering how these compare in CP soap verses FD&C colourants for mixing? I have a soap buddy that lives close by, and he swears by TW's SS! He has used them for a few years now.

he turns out great looking soaps! Just wondered? Help if you know or use one or the other, or both! LOL

Paul....;)

I am now using oxides for browns and black - earthy tones. I used UM for purple and blue and LOVE the blue. But for colors in which I want particular shades I go with SS cause I can make almost any one I want!

Paul, who is your friend? Is he on the forums?

I do have to tell you whatever you think will make a color you will be wrong.

What I mean is, don't think you can mix blue and yellow together to get green. It turns pink. It doesn't work that way. You HAVE to follow the color charts.

Boy ain't that the truth! I made a soap last night scented Et Une Rose from SW and wanted to make the soap itself a light pink with a darker pink swirl and rose hip powder. The light pink did not look pink at all but green. You'd think both pinks would be made with the same types of colors but they weren't. So I am anxious to see how it turns it out when I unmold it today.

Boy ain't that the truth! I made a soap last night scented Et Une Rose from SW and wanted to make the soap itself a light pink with a darker pink swirl and rose hip powder. The light pink did not look pink at all but green. You'd think both pinks would be made with the same types of colors but they weren't. So I am anxious to see how it turns it out when I unmold it today.

Post some pics for us.

Sometimes when you cut them your like "That's not the color I wanted!"

But when you let them sit out in the air for awhile they will turn.

You have to follow that color chart to a "T". Also I noticed you don't need as much as they say when using the hp method. 1/2 tsp. for hp equals the amount of 1 tsp. of cp. It's because there is no active lye to effect the colors.

I am now using oxides for browns and black - earthy tones. I used UM for purple and blue and LOVE the blue. But for colors in which I want particular shades I go with SS cause I can make almost any one I want!

Paul, who is your friend? Is he on the forums?

Gosh CareBear, I wish he was!!! I have asked him, many times. He is a wealth of info. He lives 30 miles from me here in Cent. Fla. He has been soaping many years, and his aunt in upper New York State has too. They are both great soapiers! He was on Latherings winh me, but hasn't posted there for a long spell. He goes by the screen name "Grandpa" Some may know of him. He justs mainly posts in a Canadian soap making forum now. Great guy, and friend, Grandpa is to me!:yay:

Paul....;)

Post some pics for us.

Sometimes when you cut them your like "That's not the color I wanted!"

But when you let them sit out in the air for awhile they will turn.

You have to follow that color chart to a "T". Also I noticed you don't need as much as they say when using the hp method. 1/2 tsp. for hp equals the amount of 1 tsp. of cp. It's because there is no active lye to effect the colors.

I love my SS and have been using them for about a year now. It still amazes me the colors you start out with compared to what you end up with. I will post some pictures of this soap. The colors are what I was going for but I would have liked better swirls. Maybe if I could rub Grumpy's belly and have some of her Swirling Goddess vibes rub off on me? :undecided:rolleyes::laugh2: