which HP technique is the easiest?

rougemarie

Hello folks,

So far I've managed to make some CP soap but due to the clamy weather in my area, I'd like to venture out to HP for faster curing time. However, I've heard that HP are very tricky so I'm seeking for advice of what kind of HP technique would be the easiest for a novice to start. Thanks!

I tried Hp once and I really don't care for the process. To me alot messier. But all I did was take my recipe place all my oils in a crock pot heat them until melted and thenand lye/water combo. Mix and cook until trace and pour into molds. With Hp your bars may be a little rougher. I believe there is a tutorial on this. Try the archives.

As for cure time, if you are looking to speed the process up than I would suggest looking at a recipe with harder oils in it and discounting the water.

I do HP and love it. Of course I don't have much patience for cure time requiredwith CP:rolleyes2 . I don't mind the slightly rougher top, as a lot of my customers find it rustic and like the look. As far the rest of the bar, I took some advice I was given and bang the h**l out of my mold after pouring, which ends up giving me a smooth creamy looking bar. All in all, I'm more than happy with the HP method:yay: .

I do CP and crockpot HP. There are certain FO's that I know will seize from past bad experiences. I will save them for HP. Reina, try adding a tablespoon of regular sugar per lb. of oils. Dissolve it in the water you'll use for the lye. The sugar keeps the batch more "fluid" and this makes it easier to work with. It will not make it as pourable as CP, but more workable.

e

I do HP and love it. Of course I don't have much patience for cure time requiredwith CP:rolleyes2 . I don't mind the slightly rougher top, as a lot of my customers find it rustic and like the look. As far the rest of the bar, I took some advice I was given and bang the h**l out of my mold after pouring, which ends up giving me a smooth creamy looking bar. All in all, I'm more than happy with the HP method:yay: .

Reina, which HP method do you use? And how would you comment on the ease of that method? thanks :)

I have been using the sugar in the lye water and it makes a great bar. I don't remember who said it but someone did a few weeks back. That was a great tutorial on the cphp process. I followed that but found that I didn't have to cook mine as long as the instructions showed but I sort of have learned how my croc works and what to look for. I try to buy fo's that have a high flashpoint. I have seen lots of cp soaps that have rough looking tops and sides. I put mine in a loaf pan and I bang it on the counter and then use saran on top and smoosh it down smoothly. The top comes out just a tad bit rough but the rest of the bar is very smooth.

Here is a bar I made using cphp and scented with Vanilla Bean Noel. Compare it to the bar in the BB gallery titled Dark Chocolate made with the cp method. I don't think you can tell the difference.

vbnsoap.jpg

Like Rena and TexasBrat, I do the HP too. It's not necessarily the easiest process to do but it's one that I've come to enjoy. Yes, after the cook, you have to make sure there are no air bubbles, so I tend to put it on the floor and bang it a couple times. As far as texture, I like how mine comes out...it looks creamy, the tops are a little rough, but I think that adds to the handcraftedness of it, and I can even do swirls. The tutorial is great. HTH

:yay:

Here's a pic for reference.

post-220-139458380436_thumb.jpg