Lard Vs. Tallow

brydean

I was wondering what peoples preferences were? I am planning on ordering from Columbus foods soon, I'm debating which to order, or maybe both. I use lard all the time, I love it. But, the word lard seems to gross people out.:grin2: I'm wondering if tallow might sound better to people?;)

Thanks!

Both, if I had to pick one, I'd go with tallow now that I'm using it. I love what it has made my bar become.

Do some research at Walmart the next time you are there and write down some soaps (commercial ones) that have lard in it. Once it's soap, it's not lard anymore (well a bit does hangout but for the average customer, that's too difficult to explain), it's soap. A chemical reaction takes place.

Plus, the lard is out there. What's more gross? Wasting all that lard or using it up.

I also like both, but I LOVE tallow. Lard will give you a bit more conditioning, tallow...hardening. You can use a combo of both with excellent results!

Now, if you want to try a really decadent soap...try getting your hands on some Deer Tallow.....yum.

I also like both, but I LOVE tallow. Lard will give you a bit more conditioning, tallow...hardening. You can use a combo of both with excellent results!

Now, if you want to try a really decadent soap...try getting your hands on some Deer Tallow.....yum.

I had 7 different deer hunters lined up last fall to give me all of the tallow from their deer for me to process and use all up on my own. However, I had surgery and couldn't do anything with it during the time they had it for me, so it all was garbaged. I can't wait until next year, I'm all up for rendering it myself and very much look forward to it.

Oh, Rebecca, that's a shame. Have you used it before, or would this have been a first?

It would have been my first year. I'm not too heartbroken over it, because this group of men go each and every year, so if not this year, next (I guess it will be this year, just towards the end).

I prefer tallow. I've been experimenting to come up with a basic recipe and have substituted lard and tallow and find that the tallow bar is better. I find it rinses better.

Keep in mind that I am a newbie and still experimenting.

I've used both and tallow wins hands down. I was comparing lard from the grocery to tallow I rendered myself. I could smell the lard - I think you've really got to watch temps or you'll get a bit of the animal smell.

I rendered the tallow dry in the oven - it was easy, but took a long time.

I can get my hands on some deer tallow, very easily also!! Our best friend and his family hunts here!!

Question though, if I were to render the tallow... can I freeze it after?? As I imagine it wouldn't last too long if you don't....or??

Maybe it's a stupid question and I apologize, but I've never rendered tallow before.... read about it, but haven't had the "pleasure" yet!!

I'm using tallow and I find it to be really good!! BUT, so is lard! I used lard for a long time and really like it in a bar of soap. There's LOTS of Seventh Day Adventists (some of my family) that won't use lard for anything, so this is part of the reason I made the switch...

Yes, you can freeze your tallow & lard if you render it yourself. It keeps well this way. HTH!

Yes, you can freeze it, but it's not necessary. Kept in a cool, dark place is fine for a long time...it's a lot harder than lard or beef tallow. You don't really get too much tallow from a good sized deer...maybe 3 lb.rendered if you're lucky, I've heard. I buy mine already rendered.

Well.. our friend hunts with his whole family, and I know they don't use the fat, then there are the friends that he brings with him...

Put it this way I should have plenty!! Now it's just the basic white fat that I need right???

In other words... tallow = fat ???:embarasse

In my favorite recipe, I, too, use both beef tallow and lard! Love what they do for a bar of soap! I am getting an order of deer tallow in soon. I ordered 9 pounds from a lady on the internet. I want to play with it and see how it differs with beef tallow. I render all my beef tallow, love to do it!

I will use the deer soap for myself and to give friends and family.

I just love using AF's and what they do in a bar of soap.

Paul....

I think of all the access I had to deer tallow my whole life. Especially the last few years with my son hunting. I get really grossed out when they gut the deer. Im pretty sure I would throw up having anything to do with the fat. Especially since my son pulled out two tiiiinneee mouse sized baby deer out of a doe that he got in late season. EEEWWWW! How do you get tallow form a deer anyway?

You have to ask reaaaaaaaaaaal nice LOL.

The best on beef is the kidney fat - don't know if it's the same on deer. Then you have to render it -

Personally I'd rather buy something... but I'm simply lazy!

There is not much fat on a deer, that is so true! I get suet from my local Publix. They rough grind it for me and charge 50 cents per pound, mainly for the time and expense of grinding it for me. I boil it with a little salt and a potato in there, it doesn't smell bad to me anyway!:laugh2: This lady sells deer tallow, already rendered for $2.00 per pound. I thought that was a great deal. There is a web soap supplier who sells it too. Can't think which one right now, but I can find it in my bookmarks somewhere.

Paul....