Need Soap Mold Guidance......

Angel91805

Well, you all have done it. I'm gonna take the plunge into CP soap making. :yay: I swear, I just need a t-shirt that says "Addiction just waiting to happen". :laugh2:

So...now I'm looking at molds. I've been looking at Creekside, Kelsei's Creations, Misty Creek, For Craft's Sake, Brambleberry and I think the only other one was Upland.

Now, we have wood, plastic, log, slab, with dividers and without, with liners and without.....and if that wasn't overwhelming enough, DH has now offered to build me one. <sigh> This from the man who wasn't going to allow me to bring lye into the house. A phone call from his momma this past weekend solved THAT little problem. :P

SO.....guide me.

Which is better for a newbie? I'm thinking a log mold. No more than say 4 pounds. Is it easier to swirl in a slab mold or a log mold? I'm so confused!

What's your favorite and why....if no one minds my asking.

Thanks!

Donna

I find that a slab mold is the best to swirl and layer with... I have three of the Brambleberry molds (18 bar mold).

I also use a window planter for my log mold. It is perfect. I use it time to time for various designs.

There are benefits to each so a lot of it is personal preference. I think that most of us that have been doing this for a while either use something different from when we orginally started or will change it up from time to time to try something new.

If I were you I would take my hubby up on the offer of making one. He could easily make a slab and a log mold and you can see what you prefer before you spend a lot of money on one.

HTH.

Jennifer

I have the 16 bar Misty Creek mold. I know you have to line it, but with the template you get with it it only take a few minutes to line. I love having the big cutter and the lines in the mold so that you get nice even sized bars. (I liked the mold so much I had my BIL who is a cabinet maker build me two more) I know a bigger batch of soap is sometimes more intimidating to a beginner but you don't have to be quite so precise with your weighing as you would with a small (1-2lb) batch.

I have every mold known to man. My personal preference is for set-up over clean-up, so I love my Misty Creeks for that (yea, I line it - but that liner gets tossed and the mold is still clean!). To make half a batch just use the divider!

I also adore my TOG mold (see Soapmaker Man for that one) because the cleanup is a snap AND you get the benefit of log mold and slab mold in one. Doesn't have the nifty cutting guide lines or anything but it's a great twofer thing and is really easy to use!!

I love the ease of use that I have with my Kelsei molds, I have 2 9 bars and an 18 bar. I also have an Upland slab and Upland Logs. Don't use the slab since I got the Kelseis though. They just make a PERFECT bar of soap and are worth every penny.

I have (2) 16 bar Misty Creek molds and love them. I also have 3 Target Store wood organizer boxes that I use for logs. I don't think Target sells them anymore. I prefer my Misty Creek molds, because I love to make colors and swirls, and for me they just do better in those. I use the log mold for soaps for my husband because it makes a little bit bigger bar, and it is easier for my husband to hold in his hands.

I have every mold known to man.

Boy and shes NOT exagerating either.

I have used the kelsie, log mold, and misty creek mold and I have to vote for the misty creek mold (Thx Carebear for loaning it to me)

Its all in ones preference.

Some hate lining it, some love it. Its all in what you like.

Hey now!!! I didn't know you have a Kelsei - log or slab? I could never get the hang of the mylar liners for my wooden log molds and absolutely hate my kelsei log (abandoned both for Soapmaker Man's TOG mold).

Wow, what a compliment! Thanks CareBear! I do make a unique solid Aspen Hardwood mold. The TOG 10" Dual Log/Slab mold with my liner system is the perfect mold to those starting out in the wonderful world of soapmaking. Just PM for more info. Thanks again CareBear, you and many other CT members are great past customers! Thanks!:grin2:

I'm all for starting with boxes (I cut the ends of flat rate USPS for my first log molds and used shoe boxes for my first slabs) but wooden molds are IMHO much better for getting complete gel and frankly the results I get are just better somehow. The neat thing about the TOG is that you get two different kinds of molds to play with. Gives you a chance to try both slab and log without buying both. And you don't have to mess with lining or much cleanup. Plus the lid is great!

And I am SOOOOOOOOO craving the cutter.

Hi guys! Just a quick note before I head back to the TOG Mold shop. Yes, I'm in the final testing stages of a cutter similar to the "Hobby" wire cutter FCS sells for $123.00. It will be ready in a few more weeks. I will keep you all posted! I now have 3 TOG Dual and a Triple Log/Slab molds ready now. Thanks to all you guys for the kind words! I appreciate them so very much! Take care!:highfive:

Paul....;)

Hi guys! Just a quick note before I head back to the TOG Mold shop. Yes, I'm in the final testing stages of a cutter similar to the "Hobby" wire cutter FCS sells for $123.00. It will be ready in a few more weeks. I will keep you all posted! I now have 3 TOG Dual and a Triple Log/Slab molds ready now. Thanks to all you guys for the kind words! I appreciate them so very much! Take care!:highfive:

Paul....;)

Do you have pics of your new molds? TIA

I have every mold known to man. My personal preference is for set-up over clean-up, so I love my Misty Creeks for that (yea, I line it - but that liner gets tossed and the mold is still clean!). To make half a batch just use the divider!

I also adore my TOG mold (see Soapmaker Man for that one) because the cleanup is a snap AND you get the benefit of log mold and slab mold in one. Doesn't have the nifty cutting guide lines or anything but it's a great twofer thing and is really easy to use!!

You had to start this didn't you... LOL

I sent him a PM and he sent me pics of his molds... OMG - I so think I have to have one of those... very, very nice !!!!!

Hi Everyone,

I am really hoping someone can shed some light on this subject. I emailed the Soapmaker Man about his molds he sent back to me with prices & pictures of his molds. I sent back to him asking him how big of a batch each of the molds would hold, so I know which one to buy, and I have not gotten any reply from him. I would really like to purchase one of his molds. Does anyone know if something happened? I am kind of hoping he sees this message and does get back to me soon I want one of his molds like yesterday....LOL!

Thanks for your help,

Hi Everyone,

I am really hoping someone can shed some light on this subject. I emailed the Soapmaker Man about his molds he sent back to me with prices & pictures of his molds. I sent back to him asking him how big of a batch each of the molds would hold, so I know which one to buy, and I have not gotten any reply from him. I would really like to purchase one of his molds. Does anyone know if something happened? I am kind of hoping he sees this message and does get back to me soon I want one of his molds like yesterday....LOL!

Thanks for your help,

What time did you send the last email? He will probably answer it either tonight or in the morning. HTH