Feedback on selling Pure Beeswax

I had posted on this topic before- but would like some feedback from others.

My husband and I raise honeybees and have been selling our pure beeswax locally- and its gone quite well. It's completely clean...ready to use. I want to start offering it on my website (www.thecraftersloft.com)

We sell large 25 lb. blocks here locally, which works well, as people pick up the wax and don't have to pay for shipping. My thoughts are to sell it in both 1 lb. and 5 lb. blocks on the website. That way people can buy small amounts for testing purposes, etc without feeling a commitment to buy a huge 25 lb. block. Also, if you're experimenting with wax blends, etc...this may be appealing.

What do you all think? We have sold out of our most recent wax crop and are getting ready to process a new crop in a few weeks....so I wanted to get some ideas and feedback from people before listing it online.

Thanks in advance.

I'd say if you already have a local customer base that takes your full capacity then don't - you don't want to disappoint these customers. If on the other hand you actually have more capacity and won't run out for these loyal local customers then why not?

I'd say if you already have a local customer base that takes your full capacity then don't - you don't want to disappoint these customers. If on the other hand you actually have more capacity and won't run out for these loyal local customers then why not?

I agree. If you are selling everything that your bees can produce then maybe those bees deserve a raise.

Janette

This was probably your plan already, but I would label the 1 pounder as a 'Sample' and give examples of the amount of things you can make with it. Because what I know of beeswax is that it is often used as an additive and takes very little right? This would take the fear factor out of trying it if someone is unfamiliar with it.

And for those who use it as a main wax- maybe let them order in mulitples of 5 with a bit of a discount for each additional 5? Some of your local people might like the ease of online ordering and to just have it delivered and won't care about shipping... but still will want those big chunks.

I go through right around 30 lbs. of beeswax a year for candles......I have a few customers that only burn 100% beeswax tapers, votives & pillars. I personally don't like working with blocks larger than 1 lb. They are much easier to melt and if I only need a lb. or 2, it's not fun trying to cut that off a bigger 5 lb. block. Definately keep me posted as I would be interested in giving your wax a try. Plus, you are closer than the supplier I have now!! :cool2:

Another shipping idea that some of our beeswax suppliers use is the Post Office's flat rate box - 11" X 8.5" X 5.5" - that might require a smaller single block size than you were thinking, but can also be used for about 12-14 1lb blocks as well.

I buy local beeswax and get it in 1 pound blocks. At first I would put it in a pour pot and melt it then pour out what I needed.. but that got to be a drag. So I melted it all swown and drizzled it over a cookie sheet to get thin ribbons of wax that I broke up further when it cooled. Much easier to use in my candles and it makes it possible to use in my bnb. Sooo, the bigger blocks may not be too appealing.. would think a 25 pound block would be a pita to get in a pour pot or to cut chunks out of. Just a thought..

As far as selling on the web, go for it if you can keep your local people stocked.