My faux pas....

Di_in_AZ

Well at least when I screw something up, I do it right. This can't be fixed, but I thought at least someone would get a good laugh out of it.

I have been playing around with melt and pour for a bit and am trying out my combination for a swap. I had everything perfected, except I guess when I poured some lavender buds on the backs of the soaps, I poured too late and they didn't stick at all.

No problem! I decided to reheat the soap and repour it so I could get the lavender on there. Well I reheated carefully, making sure I did not get it real hot and then I screwed up. I decided maybe I would add just a FEW drops of EO because I was worried about it not being as strong, if some may have evaporated in the reheating. Well I grabbed the wrong bottle. I had one bottle that had the dropper top and one that didn't. I thought I had the dropper bottle one so I picked it up, unscrewed the top and tapped the bottom to get out what I thought was a fricken drop. What I got was pretty much the whole bottle poured in my soap.

I cannot believe I did something so stupid. I think I should stick to candles :confused:

If it makes you feel any better.... I know you are so not alone!

As a matter of fact, a few weeks ago I was making the lip balm that was in the recipie section... well I certainly don't need 80 tubes of the stuff so I ever so carefully figured out my amounts to do only 20 balms by breaking it all down into smaller parts. And I don't have a scale or many measuring tools as it is....

So here I am happily making fractions and gestimations and melting.... then I get to the part where I add the Apricot Kernal oil (my sub for the SAO) Recipie says 8oz.... (or whatever it was) Yanno, the full amount. I totally forgot I was supposed to only do a 1/4 of it and stupid me poured in the full amount. As soon as I did it I realized OH MY GAWD. All that careful measuring and figuring down the friggin tube. The only thing I could do was go back and add back in the full amounts of everything else!!! So now I have a tupperware bowl of base, lol... I'll just remelt it soon and make lotion sticks since the only thing I have not added yet is Flavor- thank goodness! Although... nothing wrong with edible lotion right? ;)

I know I've had my shares of overdoing it. One example was when coloring soap - you should NOT measure the micas right over the soap. I was putting some in and sneezed. Almost the whole container ended up on my accent layer. It dispersed itself onto the wet surface of my just-poured soap.

Well, I scraped off what little was possible and waited. Once I cut the soap, the accent layer was the most un-natural vivid green in soaping history. Deciding to rebatch, I hope to tone down the color with titanium oxide. (Note to self. TO should be mixed with glycerin before dumping into rebatch.)

I try to blend everything together in my boiling bag and pour. Now ALL the soap is an un-natural metalic green with white spots. Panic strikes - is this white stuff lye? Once the soap cools down, I lick several spots and have no zaps - it's the TO that wasn't blended before dumping in the rebatch. :rolleyes2

Believe it or not, when I got brave enough to try it, the soap was pretty decent as far as soap goes. However, the foam was tinged with some green.:P