M&P Curing?

crystalmcvea

Does MP have to cure at all? I ask because I made a batch of Chocolate colored soap. I poured a few candies and make a cake and used the Chocolate as the frosting. Well, I left the cake piece out on the counter for a week and put the candy pieces in a baggie. Now the candy pieces have crystalized, have sugar like appearance on the outside, and the cake is just fine. They were from the same batch...just wondering what is causing this crystalization on the soap? Thanks!

I have gotten what I think you're describing once a couple of weeks ago. I was using SFIC shea butter m&p and Angel Wings from NG. I feel that I overheated the soap.

I've poured almost 100 bars in the same manner in a pink ribbon mold for a breast cancer fundraiser. I can only do a few bars at a time because I only have 3 molds. I heat a small amount to pour the "ribbon" part of the mold and color it pink. I haven't used any fo in the ribbon part. After the "ribbon" firms up, I then pour the scented but uncolored bar.

On one set of bars, (3 to a mold) I had what looked like crystals that would rub off. The bar part had none. It's real easy to overheat when doing such a small amount--less than 1/2 cup. I'm not 100% certain, but I do remember being in a hurry to get that one set poured and think I overheated.

If you overheat your MP soap it may form those crystals on the surface. It is caused by the glycerin getting too heated. You can wipe off the crystals with a dry cloth or dab it in a little alcohol and gently wipe off the crystals. They just look worse than they really are!

Thanks Candy! I have just started messing around with MP soap and I was using the microwave. Think Im going to switch to the double boiler method..I was thinking that it had something to do with the coloring...to get a good chocolate color with the goats milk MP Im having to add more micas...So glad to know it was the heat. Ill make another batch and see how that does! Yall are awesome!!