RRD and Zinc Help

Henryk

I have found a good "sized" wick for my soy/paraffin votives - an RRD29. The problem is even though it burns nicely for a while, it starts to flop over part way down and just continues to burn that way unless I straighten it. So, I would like to try a zinc equivalent of an RRD 29 since I assume that those would stay straight.

I've never used zincs or RRDs until this point (the RRD 29 I had from a sample kit of votive wicks). The LX 12 is flopping over also but the size seems to be about right, KWIM?

It would be great if someone who really uses these different wicks would know the equivalent of the zincs for LX24, 26, and 28 also. For the RRD29 I thinking maybe a 44-24-18Z (but then there's the 44-20-18Z and the 36-24-24Z also which I think go two steps cooler respectively correct?)

Know I'm asking a lot, but if someone can give me something to go on so I can at least start testing I'd be very grateful. I don't mind if they are low-smoke either - though I've never used those either and see people either love them or hate them!

Thanks.

Actually, that was the first place I went to. :) I was trying to cross reference those two charts with another old BCN one I have, but I got confused on the pool diameters. The smallest RRD begins where the largest Zinc ends, but if I go by ROC it looks like I should try the 44-20-18Z first and not the 51-36-18Z!

Thanks for your help though!

Henry if the LX 12 burns OK except for the flopping try the 36-24-24z. In my votive testing with OK6228 the 36z burned just a little hotter than the LX12. Don't know how that converts to a soy/parrafin mix. The low smoke votive wicks I've tested are to hot for votives - at least in 6228. Good Luck

Hi Henry,,I use 44-24-18z for my 2oz votives and they burn nicely,,also if you go to http://server.com/webapps/db-veiw.cgi? this will take you to bittercreeks pick-a-wick database and you can see what others have used. it tells you what jar or whatever they use then wax they used and then it gives you what wick worked for them. I use this a lot and it works well. JMO.;)

• 2 weeks later...

I use the LX12 on light colors but I am having trouble on heavier FO's and darker colors. Those who use the zinc wick in this wax, do you not have to change up or down on your heavier FO's and darker colors. Does the zinc work regarless of the color or scent. Guess I should look at that. Also, I have 2 cases from BP 2554 and I notice that this sweats in my votives, does anyone use this still or have in the past. What is the FO % hold for this wax? I like to use 8%. Now this is really stupid of me, but I just joined and I don't know how to post a new topic, can someone tell me, I can't seem to find it. Thanks for the help.