Which coconut oil ??

SheilaW

In reading a lot of recipes ( soap etc. ) I have noticed that rarely is there a distinction as to which coconut oil should be used ie; fractionated, 76 or 92 degree or virgin. Is there a general assumption in the knowledgeable soap making world about which one is to be used in a given recipe ???

Anytime I see a soap recipe that looks interesting I always run it through the soapcalc and go with the coconut that gives me the best numbers but I wonder if this causes confusion to the brand new soapmaker.

Hi, I'm Michelle, and new to all of this. I bought some fractionated oil for some bath/body item recipes that I have and am glad now that I waited to use it since I didn't know that there were so many types of coconut oil! What can the fractionated coconut oil be used for?

Thanking you in advance...

Michelle

I save the fractionated coconut for B&B applications; I don't soap it. It's really a different animal; it stays liquid at room temp. You can use it in lotions, creams, and perfumes, for starters.

Virgin coconut, as was mentioned above, is too expensive and smells too yummy to use in soap as well. lol I also save that one for lip balms and such. Smells like fresh coconut meat.

The 76 and 92 degree stuff are what I use in soap, primarily the 76 degree.