Container Candles

Okay, I'm going to start making container candles. I plan on using the wide mouth pint sized mason jars, because I can buy them locally.

I've never really gotten into making contaier candles, so I've got lots of questions.

I'd like suggestions on:

Was types, wick types/sizes, instructions on how best to pour, how to prevent those ugly air bubbles you see on the sides of mason jars at the store and craft shows.... how to make the top of the candle look nice and not have big dips in it.....

Er so basically I need instructions...

And I'd like to hear your prefered wax and wick sizes for this type of container :)

This should get you started ;)

http://www.candletech.com/containercandles/

Wick types/sizes will depend alot on which wax you use, and the type of wax is just preference. Try a few and see what you like. Whether or not there are big dips on top also depends on the wax. Single-pour usually doesn't leave a big dip that'll need a repour. Heat guns are handy for smoothing the tops. HTH

This should get you started ;)

http://www.candletech.com/containercandles/

Wick types/sizes will depend alot on which wax you use, and the type of wax is just preference. Try a few and see what you like. Whether or not there are big dips on top also depends on the wax. Single-pour usually doesn't leave a big dip that'll need a repour. Heat guns are handy for smoothing the tops. HTH

ducky yous inspire me . Were can I get a heat gunn?

:)

Where can I get a heat gun?

:)

Oh, at all kinds of home improvement places, even Wal-Mart. They're usually in the paint section. Grr.. I had just done a pretty thorough post about these in the FAQ's section of the old board a couple days before it crashed. Wish I had saved it :( Usually you can get one for under $20, but they can go higher. Some have one heat setting, some have dual. HTH

Sorry for the hi-jack, but while we are on heat guns...

Is a heat gun different from an embossing gun? I've seen these at the local craft store in the scrap book section on sale but wasn't sure if they were the same thing.

Sorry for the hi-jack, but while we are on heat guns...

Is a heat gun different from an embossing gun? I've seen these at the local craft store in the scrap book section on sale but wasn't sure if they were the same thing.

O now Iam goin too be confuse. there are many type of these heat gunn?

They use embossing heat guns for StampinUp Projects. In the F&Q that was here before the crash, says you can use either..Lucky I printed out the whole section on F&Q,,,, ;)

Bought a Heat Gun for $20.00 at walmart in the paint section,,,

I also use a embossing gun. Didnt really feel comfortable with using the heavy duty heat guns as they get alot hotter. If I am only pouring one jar, I use it to heat jar up. Also works great for if you get a air bubble on top of candle/votive. I used a coupon at AC Moore for mine, cost me $12. I also use it for stamping so was good value for me.

I started with an embossing gun fro Wal-Mart. They were the same price as the heat guns. It lasted one day. Second one lasted one week. Maybe it's just a bad brand, maybe I'm just too rough on them...lol. They're made for light duty use, just a few minutes at a time. Some of the tops I was trying to smooth were really bad. ;) Some look like the ones in that link, some look like hair dryers. They all blow hot air. The difference is how hard they blow and how hot they get. Hair dryers can get hot, but blow very hard. Embossing guns get very hot, but blow gently. Heat guns get a very hotter usually and blow harder. There are different styles and setting, but don't worry too much about it, whatever kind you get should be fine. I didn't have much choice here. Wal-Mart was the only place locally that carried them and they only had one ;)