Newbie questions re: safety, wax

Hi all!

I am a candle noob and am just starting out making candles as a hobby. I got hooked when I recieved a candle making kit as a gift and I just received my first official order of supplies that weren't bought from a hobby shop.

I've been reading for awhile, but still have a few questions. My first question is embarrassing, but I am going to ask it anyways.. (I feel stupid asking this...) How in the WORLD do you cut up the wax that you receive in slabs??? I've only used pellets up until now. Tell me there is an easy way to do it? I would love to divide it into manageable 1/2 lb pieces, but how???

Secondly.. I was reading some instructions that came with my voitve making kit and to be honest... I just feel SCARED now. Scared I might start a fire! Has anyone actually had wax catch on fire? It said it is preferable to use an electric source of heat, and I only have gas. Being a noobie, am I literally playing with fire or what? How bad would you really have to screw up to start a fire with hot wax? Maybe someone can make me feel a little more less intimidated so I can get started. I'm afraid I will go back to all my hobby materials because I don't know if I'm ready for the "big stuff".

Editing to add a question: I ordered material to make votives and containers. Which is more difficult? Which would be the best to start with? Those are the two types I'd really like to master.

For what its worth, I am only a hobbyist, just making candles for personal use and gifts... many many gifts. I hope to save tons of $$$ on gifts over the years... (teachers, friends, family, etc)

Thanks alot!:confused:

I have only been making candles for a couple of months, but I got a votive making kit from Cajun, and am hooked. Don't be scared:smiley2: . Just be careful. If you don't already have one, get a Presto Pot from Wal-mart (about $30) and while you're there a digital scale ($30). Then make sure you have a thermometer, and never ever leave your melting wax unattended. I started out with the candy thermometers from Wal-Mart, but got a good digital one from Target ($16) that beeps at you when you reach your set temp. Sometimes it annoys me to no end, but it works great. I have made some jars but votives are so easy (if you have wick pins) and fun, and to tell you the truth finding the right wax, wick, & fo combo for containers is slightly intimidating to me. But I am going to do more for sure, just having fun with votives now. Beware~ candlemaking is addictive:drool: If you can keep it as a hobby, count yourself lucky. If you need any more encouragement, PM me.

I would be glad to help.

Valerie

Slabs are easy to break up. Some just put them in a pillow case or trash bag and beat it or drop it. I just poke holes in the wax till it splits apart.

No one likes to admit to catching wax on fire. I've done it before. It is easy to do, but since you didn't get a hobby kit, you shouldn't have to worry about boil bags. If you have them, ditch them. If you don't have them, don't ever get them.

If you keep track of the temperature in your pot when you're melting wax you shouldn't have any trouble. If you use the double boiler method, just don't boil out the water and forget you have wax on a heat source.

Keep some baking soda and a lid around just in case. Try not to preoccupy yourself with your fears and just try making something. :)

Sorry- I forgot to answer your first question. Actually, I did in my first reply, but then it disappeared and I had to start all over. Anyway, my hubby set up a table in the garage for me and I use a hammer & sometimes chisel (wear safety glasses) to break up wax and weigh it right there. I used to do it on the table, but now mostly just pound it in the box. I need to get a plastic container so the wax doesn't fly all over. I am making a mess out there:laugh2:

Well, hubby always says the garage is his territory to clean. Payback time:wink2:

Valerie

I forgot to buy wick pins... I do remember someone saying they were a must have when making votives.

Any household items that can be used for the same purpose? (the purpose it just to keep the wick centered, right?)

I got a kit from Peak that came with a pouring pot. How is a presto pot used? I have a wax melter that was given to me as a gift, it just melts the wax then the wax comes out of a valve in the bottom and into the container or mold. Is that the concept that a presto pot is based on?

Thanks for all your help so far...

Order wick pins.

Basically the presto pot melts the wax. With an attached valve you can pour from it, otherwise you can remove the wax with say a glass measuring cup.

Tell you have wick pins, you get to learn how to center your wicks in votives and what happens if you don't. ;)

How many wick pins do I need? Should I have one for each votive cup I have?

SHEESH, this is frustrating... I just spent $17 on shipping on this last order... Maybe I can think of some other things I might need to make the wick pin purchase more rewarding. LOL... Any ideas? Maybe some dyes... thats another thing I don't have right now.

What is better - liquid dye or the solid chips? Opinions?

I just sniffed all my FOs and lemme tell ya... impressive! The rose one was so realistic... I could smell the stem and everything. It felt like my nose was literally in the middle of an open rose. Breathtaking! (Peaks by the way)

I am really surprised you didn't get wick pins in your kit! I got my kit from Cajun and got 12 votive molds with 12 wick pins. You will need 1 for every mold. A couple of days after I got my kit, I ordered another set of 12 w/ pins so I can do more votives (they were cheaper at Cajun). I also bought another presto pot. Remember, the 4794 is a 2 pour wax, and I didn't want to waste time. I told you, I lovvvvve to make candles! Did you not get any candle dyes in your kit? The Peak kits come with chips, I think. But I use liquid dyes. Only because they came in my kit, but I have done searches on this board and think I'll stay with them. You could always order more fo's- a sampler of course! All of Peak's are excellent. I have the rose one but haven't poured it yet. If you like coffee scents, you must try Cappuccino Hazelnut. Others that are incredible are Country Berry Hotcakes, German Chocolate Cake, Hot Cocoa, Mediterranean Fig, Pear Spice, and Lilac. I could go on and on. And if you plan on making lots of votives to start, get more wicks. I use the 36's & 44's and also HTP41's for mine.

Have fun~

Valerie

Let's see...

Pillow case, yup! And a 12" little sledgehammer (or any decent sized hammer). Works great.

Double boiler is a simple and safe way to start, move up to a presto when you get a chance, but always always use a thermometer.

Wick Pins? Don't care for them in pillars but best god-damn thing in the world for votives. Get some, one per votive cup.

$17 for shipping? Girl, that ain't nothing :laugh2:

Sounds like you already have a Presto pot with pour valve. That will make it easier to melt your chunks of wax. This is what was meant by electric. Then you can use your pour pot to add dye and FO. Glad to see you are concerned about safety. Always use a double boiler method - never put a pour pot on direct heat.

I put my slabs of was in the freezer before breaking them up. Then a couple of good taps with a hammer will break it up into smaller chunks.

Have fun and get some votive wick pins. You'll soon realize that you need 3 or 4 doz. votive molds and wick pins.

Peaks Bouquet of Rose is awesome. And a little goes a long ways. I use 1/2 oz pp of wax. Just play with it to see what works for you. If you love the Rose you will probably love Peak's Sweet Pea too. Of course I love most of their FOs.

Hrm...never used wick pins in votives, always used a mold and wicking rod. I guess whatever works for you...

Candlemaking is only dangerous if you're absent-minded.

As for dyes...I personally prefer the chips, but the liquid dyes do serve some purposes, such as streaked pillars...can't do that with chips, or at least not nearly as easily. :D

How in the WORLD do you cut up the wax that you receive in slabs???

Hammer works great . Awesome to take your frustrations out on your wax....

Votives are fun to make.

Don't let them intimidate you. You can do it.

Votive wick pins are the best.

You will get the feel for it once you make a few.

Since you are new to this I will say this since none else has yet…

Catching wax on fire… "ALWAYS" Have baking Soda and a fire Extinguisher near your work area at all times.

Never be without both. It can save a life or your home.

Ask me how I know. I had 1 fire in my basement and that baking soda saved my house.

Keep boxes of it handy.

"NEVER EVER" try to put a wax fire out with water ..NEVER

Using a presto pot is the best way to go.

You have control over the temps.

I feel so much safer using all 6 of mine.

I'm a presto junkie LOL

I hope to save tons of $$$ on gifts over the years... FORGET IT!!!

You will not save any money…

Making candles is not cheap by any means.

In fact it gets very expensive.

Then you get hooked on all the FO's out there and become a FO HO like most of us and there goes your bank account. LOL

Most of all have fun with it.

There is lots to learn. And this site is great for the info.

There are alot of very experienced people here that are really nice and will try to help answer questions.

I have been at this now for almost 7 years and I'm still learning new things.

Good luck and have fun with it.

Try not to pull out all your hair when you get flustered.

It's therapy for me….I make my best candles when I'm upset….LOL

Don't worry, if anything bursts into flames it makes it that much more fun -- at least in my book. Blasting it with the fire extinguisher is fun too! Like Moonrose said, never use water. I love candlemaking!

Anywho, just be careful heating the wax and you'll be fine. You can go with the Presto like people say, but you can also start off with a double boiler if you like and see how it goes. It's a safe method because the wax can't overheat with the water around it.