For Cybele and Others Asked for Freebies

smellywax

Cybele, I owned an online magazine before selling it to a large print publication and from a journalistic standpoint you have been nothing but unprofessional. Just because you have some freelance writers (if that) writing for your tacky online "zine," doesn't give you the right to request freebies from ANYONE. Don't try to impress us that you can get freebies from Lancôme etc. Any kind of publication with the proper form letter can request freebies from large companies. Those large companies aren't stupid though. They know you are some journalist wannabe looking for something free but they don't care because if they get you to use their product, it's one more client for them. Do you really think they care about what you have to say about the product whenever your little "zine" reaches such a minute part of our population? NO...they could care a less. I will say it again...A REAL publication doesn't request freebies. They buy it on their own to make a nonbiased opinion. As candlemakers on this forum, I hope none of you offer freebies for an online publication such as this. It is simply not worth your time.

Wow a whole new thread, to make sure it gets attention. This is from the TOS:

Abuse / Flaming / Derogatory Comments:

Abusive Comments, Flaming, or derogatory insults or comments are strictly against the rules. You don't have to agree with another member's opinion (we all have them), but here you DO have to respect it, even though it may differ greatly from your own.

Cybele would seem to be a member now. You don't have to insult her venture just because you were apparently a big important online publisher.

Cybele would seem to be a member now. You don't have to insult her venture just because you were apparently a big important online publisher.

She is a member now only b/c she registered to keep the pot boiling. :rolleyes2

I think you totally missed smellywax's point/WARNING, and that is, we are small businesses looking for our break, and when people like HER come into our lives giving a glimmer of some free publicity, some that are naive enough may jump on that, and be burned in the process.

Again I state that people who take advantage of others for their own personal gain are the worst kind of people, and it's a shame that there are soooooo many of them out there.

Wow a whole new thread, to make sure it gets attention. Cybele would seem to be a member now. You don't have to insult her venture just because you were apparently a big important online publisher.

You just don't get it do you? Anyone can become a member here and I find it important to warn other candle makers that people like Cybele are going to come along and try to abuse the situation just for freebies which can can cost hard earned time and money to small businesses.

It is important to remember also, that we live in a free society. Anyone(individual or business) has the right to request a freebie if they choose to. The business also has the right to deny sending/giving that freebie. A business owner would know if they were large enough or too small to be able to afford the freebie. They also have the right to check out a business that is requesting one and decide if it is legitimate and/or worthwhile. JMO from the outside :)

It is important to remember also, that we live in a free society. Anyone(individual or business) has the right to request a freebie if they choose to. The business also has the right to deny sending/giving that freebie. A business owner would know if they were large enough or too small to be able to afford the freebie. They also have the right to check out a business that is requesting one and decide if it is legitimate and/or worthwhile. JMO from the outside :)
I agree but just because someone has a website, doesn't make them legitimate and I think it's important for people to consider that when asked for free samples.;)

I think it should just be dropped!..

The back and forth with the woman is also very unprofessional and doesn't make you any better with her.

All it took was one look at her website and that should have been enough for people to make up their own mind...

and yes you are right ducky, people like to request free samples for everything... and if we want we can or we can choose not to.

That is just my opinion, just like you are entitled to yours and she is to hers...

I agree but just because someone has a website, doesn't make them legitimate and I think it's important for people to consider that when asked for free samples.;)

That was how/why this whole topic got started. A request for free samples was received and we were trying to determine if it was legit or scam. I get my fair share of requests for free samples, and aside from the Nigerian orders, it is often hard to determine if they are just trying to get something for nothing, or if they are a genuine potential customer.