On A Wick Hunt For A Wicked Wick

:cheesy2: No really. I need a wick that will burn a fragrance in my soy wax that is almost impossable to burn. It keeps drowning out. I use the same amount of fragrance in other candles, so I know it is not about the fragrance load. I hear hemps burn good with any wax. Is this true? I need a core wick for my containers. I need them to stand straight while burning.

Any advice anyone?

Thanks!:smiley2:

Eco wicks, for me, burn certain oils that clogged/drowned every single other wick I tried. I have an oil that has some myrh in it, in which I tried every wick on the face of the earth (HTP, CD, LX, FW, Premier Series Wicks, Fil Tec, Cotton, Zinc...you name it, I tried it). Not a single one stayed lit (in any size I tried), except for the Ecos.

Is this by chance a Vanilla, Cinnamon or Amber fragrance?

Some oils require heavier wicking, especially in soy.

Hi. Thanks for responding. No this one is Cedarwood. I use the heaviest core wick of its brand. The things are like sucker sticks! I have even double wicked and they still go out. Amazing! :shocked2:

Thanks again for responding!:)

Jodi, we have only used 1.5 oz. rarely... my general rule of thumb is that if a FO doesn't throw well at 1 oz. per pound, I find a better FO. I use CDN wicks for C-3 and have never had any problem with it drowning out, even when the wick wasn't a good match. As folks have said, the wax isn't the trouble - it's either your choice of wick, FO or possibly the colorant you are using. Test, test, test! Good Luck. :)

I guess it would be easier to post one reply to all. First of all, thank you for all who have responded so far. I greatly appreciate your time and input. :)

SherriLynn, my responce to Mystical_Angel1219 was that I use the heaviest core wick of it's brand and it is the RRD's . I even double wick!

ChandlerJane, Where can I get these Ecos? :yay: I would love to try them.

Tizimarezie, How about white? The dye I use is soy based white liquid dye.

Thanks again everyone!:smiley2:

Jodi, we have only used 1.5 oz. rarely... my general rule of thumb is that if a FO doesn't throw well at 1 oz. per pound, I find a better FO. I use CDN wicks for C-3 and have never had any problem with it drowning out, even when the wick wasn't a good match. As folks have said, the wax isn't the trouble - it's either your choice of wick, FO or possibly the colorant you are using. Test, test, test! Good Luck. :)

Thank You! I appreciate your input on this. :smiley2:

Tizimarezie, How about white? The dye I use is soy based white liquid dye.

The color I (and someone else) had problems with was aqua (Reddig-Glo color chip). I haven't used white so I don't know what to tell you on that. The only way you can find out whether it's your wick, FO or dye is by process of elimination (i.e. make candle without dye or different dye using same FO, same wick).

HTH

:smiley2:

HI again! I was looking up CDN wicks. Do these burn standing straight? I have read that they are coreless and flat braided. They do appear to be of high quality from what I have read. I know that soy wax is pretty thin when melted to a complete melt pool, especially if the candle is left burning for a long time. I was concerned about leaning if the melt pool got too deep. :confused:

Thank you

The color I (and someone else) had problems with was aqua (Reddig-Glo color chip). I haven't used white so I don't know what to tell you on that. The only way you can find out whether it's your wick, FO or dye is by process of elimination (i.e. make candle without dye or different dye using same FO, same wick).

HTH

:smiley2:

Thanks!:smiley2:

I was concerned about leaning if the melt pool got too deep.

Haven't had any problem with these wicks leaning in a liquid melt pool any more than any other wick would. If the candle is liquid all the way down to the wicktab, any wick might lean or collapse if bumped. I don't find that the melted soy wax is ever exactly thin, especially in a melt pool. Always seems kinda viscous to me, but thick or thin, the CDN wicks don't lean during a burn from what I have observed. We use CDN wicks almost exclusively both for palm and soy candles (only exception are our molded palm wax novelty candles).

Haven't had any problem with these wicks leaning in a liquid melt pool any more than any other wick would. If the candle is liquid all the way down to the wicktab, any wick might lean or collapse if bumped. I don't find that the melted soy wax is ever exactly thin, especially in a melt pool. Always seems kinda viscous to me, but thick or thin, the CDN wicks don't lean during a burn from what I have observed. We use CDN wicks almost exclusively both for palm and soy candles (only exception are our molded palm wax novelty candles).

Awesome! :yay: Thank you. I will try these.