Pillar burn

A perfect buring pillar should burn all the wax nearly, with a very small rim on the side so it doesn't overflow. If they create a tunnel then it probably means the wick is too small. Though i've been testing my pillars for ages and there's soooo many variables that you can't always get it perfect!!! Oh well, we can all aspire to perfection. If it only leaves a small bit of unmelted wax thats ok really, better than it overflowing!

I strive to also have my pillars consume themselves just like the containers I make. I try to have a burn that leaves approximately 1/4" on the outside. I will burn for about 3 -4 hours. Extinguish and hug. Trim wick when completely cool. Repeat the above process. A too large wick will probably blow the side after the 2nd or 3rd burn. A too small wick will tunnel and the candle will not consume itself. I realize we do not want to blow the sides-resulting in a big puddle, but a good burning pillar should also consume itself like a votive or a container. JMO

I thought mine were not burning or consuming as you said, but when I tried a bigger wick, it smoked. I used astorV wax and the z series wicks. I have a few sizes of molds, but I went by the same wick chart as for jars, is that right? What is the best wax for pillars, is the astro V ok for them?

I thought mine were not burning or consuming as you said, but when I tried a bigger wick, it smoked. I used astorV wax and the z series wicks. I have a few sizes of molds, but I went by the same wick chart as for jars, is that right? What is the best wax for pillars, is the astro V ok for them?

I know that you can get a lot of different kinds of wax but I use Peak's pillar blend and then I don't have to worry about adding my own additives.

I always thought that Astorlite V was a votive wax and not necessarily a pillar wax.

It depends on the MP of the wax too. I just bought some 145 wax that is a little higher than the 4045 and 4045H I wax using. With the 4045...it self consumes....the 145 mottling wax from Genwax doesn't. I am not buying it again. Donita