Almost Ready to take the plunge in making CP Soap

Synascents

Alright, after waiting for a year now..I pretty much have all the materials to start CP Soaping...well, just running into the fact that I am having a hard time trying to find lye..:(

Off to the classy's for this or if someone can tell me where it can be purchased on line...thank you very much.

Right now, hubby is busy making me my wood mold that I will need for this...so here is the big question..I've been searching for the basic recipe..beginner's that is and was wondering if AJ could share that with me..

Once I get it..pretty please...:wink2: and do go to the calculator, can I run it through you expert cp soaper's and let me know if it's a go or OH NO! :P

Thanks in advance and will def continue to research

Stephanie

Do you have a Lowe's near you. They carry it there by the name of ROEBIC. It is a white can with a red and yellow label. Yes you need to run it through the calculater. If you want to feel more secure you can post it and mostly anyone here will help you make sure it is good to go. Good luck with it. I am asure you will do fine with it.

Do you have a Lowe's near you. They carry it there by the name of ROEBIC. It is a white can with a red and yellow label. Yes you need to run it through the calculater. If you want to feel more secure you can post it and mostly anyone here will help you make sure it is good to go. Good luck with it. I am asure you will do fine with it.

Went there and they had none!

So still searching on the lye and thank you

AJ

WOOHOO...my wood molds are just about done and as soon as I get some lye I'll be really doing the mad scientist thingy!

*:P

Good luck on your first batch. :highfive:

I'll be right behind you... as soon as my oils come in.. Monday or Tuesday!!:yay:

If I were to start a thread, could we make it a sticky thread for first time Cp'ers!!! Seems to me that would be great fun, and encouraging for those of us ready or almost ready to take the plunge!!

Steph, I was ready to order my lye online when I decided to stop at a small lumber yard. I checked the section that had Drain-o and was disappointed because they had none. The lady asked for help and I told her I was looking for lye, but they didn't have any and she told me it was in the plumbing section. (Not with the cleansers, but with the pipes and stuff). She let me know that they order every Monday, and can special order for me if necessary. So you may want to try one of the smaller places.

The Roebic's Heavy Duty Crystal Drain Cleaner sold at Lowes is 100% sodium hydroxide, with no added extra goodies. I started with this brand about a year-and-a-half ago. I did a web search, found their site, looked at the MSDS and made sure it was ONLY 100% sodium hyrodroxide, and it was! Just make sure your local hardware store sells or orders only 100% lye (sodium hydroxide) and it is THE only ing. in there! Lowes sells their 32 ounce plastic can for @$7.85. You can find it sometimes, sometimes you can't! I'm just glad I found a local supplyer that sells 50 pounds bags. I bought 3 bags late last summer. I paid @.50 cents per pound. A whole lot less than the $3.87 per pound at Lowes! But, if you have to....Lowes is the way to go if they have it. No shipping charges. HTH

Paul....

I finally found lye in a small neighboring town's True Value Hardware store and am now all ready to go. I have a good first time simple soap recipe that is tried and true (found it on this board), so won't have to go to soapcalc, but

I am still nervous. I have my Misty Creek 16 bar mold waiting, but my recipe is 2 lbs, and I am not sure how many bars of soap that will make. Need to research more. Good luck Stephanie! I am right there with you:highfive:

I tried to find the link for this since it has all of the directions lined out from start to finish, but couldn't find it. Anyway, if you are interested, this is the recipe I am going to use:

8 oz coconut

8 oz lard or palm

16 oz olive

4.5 oz lye

9 oz distilled water

I think I am still going to check out soapcalc to be sure even though the recipe said it wasn't necessary:rolleyes2

I didn't read everyone's reply so I probably am repeating but Lowes carries a brand of Lye you can use.

Oh Steph I can't WAIT to see your creations-welcome back you've been missed!! I've been soaping for exactly one year and LOVE it. I'm so glad I took the pludge :smiley2:.

I finally found lye in a small neighboring town's True Value Hardware store and am now all ready to go. I have a good first time simple soap recipe that is tried and true (found it on this board), so won't have to go to soapcalc, but

I am still nervous. I have my Misty Creek 16 bar mold waiting, but my recipe is 2 lbs, and I am not sure how many bars of soap that will make. Need to research more. Good luck Stephanie! I am right there with you:highfive:

You really should run all recipes throught the soapcalc. There could be a misprint or an error in them. This way you will always know it is right and you won't waste oils and money. It is fun once you make your first batch you will be hooked. I started with a group from here on a challenge. ( Thanks Mags) It really was neat. Here is the link to the thread for it. It may help you out a bit. http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21734&highlight=gauntlet

9 oz is a 33% lye solution. For a 30%, you need 10.5 ounces of water. 12 seems like a lot to me.

I always soap with 6 oz. of water ppo. :) The default on soapcalc yields about this same amount (actually slightly higher).

I always recommend beginning soapers use the full amount of water so they don't accidentally get a really fast trace. :)