Some things simply amaze me.

Guest WhoMe?

Shopping the net today and came across this site. The products looked amazing, until I came across this: http://www.daybreaklavenderfarm.com/store/Lovelight-Body-Candle-pr-16668-c-358.html

Is it just me or is this an accident just waiting to happen? Three wicks in an 8 ounce tin? Pour the hot wax into your hand and rub on your body? Soy wax that doesn't emit any toxins into the air?

Am I crazy to think this or am I just overly cautious when it comes to making and selling candles?

I can't count the number of people that say " Oh these are the candles that I can rub on my skin"

I always reply. Not mine you cant. If you want softer skin i will sell you something that is skin safe. But not all candle coloring is safe for the skin nor is all the scents safe for skin.

I guess I could sell them that way but I really dont feel like walking around with "lawsuit" tatooed to my forehead.

Paula

Use the search feature and you'll find quite a few threads debating this type of product. It seems to be a huge trend right now. Not one that I'm going to follow or use, but many do.

Try searching "massage candle" or some variation.

I do not need the search feature, I've seen the the threads. I was just commenting on what "I" had found. Quite amazing, don't you think?

Amazing in the fact that someone would sell them under these pretenses, not amazing as compared to other people who sell something similar. It looks like an accident waiting to happen.

Yes, it does seem to be an accident waiting to happen. Three wicks seems to be a bit much, especially when viewing the photo, but as I've never held an 8 oz. tin in my hand I have no idea what the real dimensions of it are.

However, I've read over the page and I honestly don't see anything unusual about the way they are marketing the product (don't read this as I agree with the way they are marketing it) when compared to the way other massage candle products are marketed.

People that buy these are the same ones that I have seen on other message boards talking about how they can use melted crayons as color for cheap homemade candles and melt and pour soaps.

I've also seen them tell each other that they can take leftover perfume and dump in "as much as you want" for scenting in these candles "if the scent seems to be lite" and in lotions etc.:rolleyes2

Shopping the net today and came across this site. The products looked amazing, until I came across this: http://www.daybreaklavenderfarm.com/store/Lovelight-Body-Candle-pr-16668-c-358.html

Is it just me or is this an accident just waiting to happen? Three wicks in an 8 ounce tin? Pour the hot wax into your hand and rub on your body? Soy wax that doesn't emit any toxins into the air?

Am I crazy to think this or am I just overly cautious when it comes to making and selling candles?

I will have to agree with you that is a lot of flame. I think these people are just too lazy to test wicks, so the easiest thing to them was take what they had and triple wick.

Did you guys read underneath the comment "our properly wicked candles". Tell them to post on this board we will chew them up for breakfast.

People that buy these are the same ones that I have seen on other message boards talking about how they can use melted crayons as color for cheap homemade candles and melt and pour soaps.

I've also seen them tell each other that they can take leftover perfume and dump in "as much as you want" for scenting in these candles "if the scent seems to be lite" and in lotions etc.:rolleyes2

I pray they'll tell you where they live so I don't bunk next to them lol!

LOL...it's one of those WAHM sites that have a lot of "do it yourself" threads on saving money etc.

Yep, they really come up with some good ones:rolleyes2.

I wish I could find the one that talked about melting the crayons and putting it in M&P soap along with craft glitter to make cute kids soaps for gifts.:lipsrseal

They're just so "crafty and creative"....LOL

I know how people on this board feel about these things, and I agree that it would likely be dangerous in the hands of a large part of the population, but I don't see why it wouldn't work with someone who is careful. I think the problem is that it is being marketed as a "candle", something which is usually burned for several hours at a time, and often left burning till it is gone. I think it shoud be considered as a cream or a lotion, which happens to be made in a form which makes it easy and attractive to heat. As far as I can tell, there are other oils etc added to it to lower its melt point, and increase its effectiveness as a lotion. Candle flame is beautiful, and to me seems to be a pleasant way of heating up your lotion. Also, I have arthritis in my hands, and the thought of pouring warm lotion on my hands sounds really good. The 3 wicks are probably too much, even for heating up a lotion: with other oils and FO or Eo's in it, it does seem to be a hazard. I would think that 1 wick would suffice.

Do wickless candles actually melt, or does the heat of the warmer merely help release the fragrance? If wickless candles are made to melt, that seems to me to be a much safer and more effective way to melt them. Anyway, I'm tempted to try something like this for myself, but I don't think I would ever want to sell any.

quoted from the site....

"I can't say how many full body massages you'd get out one candle -- probably three or four, but I've been using mine for hands and arms, feet and legs for about a week now, and I've barely touched the surface."

Hmmmm....someone doesn't know how exactly how long their product will last? Seems to me that someone might have needed to do a little more testing before posting the above statement on the site.

Doris-Yes, wickless melt. Perhaps a wickless would be a better option here, but it would need to be a small wickless I think. When I put my 8 oz. wickless on the warmer that is a LOT of hot wax. Also, not sure how hot the warmer gets the wickless candles so it may be too warm for this purpose.

Well we know this lotion candle will never burn right once you start pouring out the wax. If you blow it out after a few minutes, light it again the next day, it will tunnel right? The what is the customer going to do with all of that leftover wax?:P :lipsrseal

I've had lots of customers ask about this sort of thing with my candles too and I always say, "These are NOT used on the skin so don't try it. My candles are used to scent the air, not pour on the skin. My colors and F/O ARE NOT skin safe, (even though many are!) I won't be responible if a person have an allergic reaction.

Fire