I think my lip balm is moldy.. :(

tychels

I made a batch of the lip balm recipe that spellkast had posted, it's supposed to be likre BCN and I love it, except I think went moldy! I made it a couple weeks ago, I used flavor oils from Oregon Trails, Pineapple slices, candy apple and creamy coconut. I put it in the little clear pots, no color. I opened them up the other day, I was going to give them to friends to try and there is little white spots on the top and you can see through the sides and bottom, it looks there is little spots there too. Could it be mold? If so why would it go moldy and so soon? I am so sad, I have 20 pots of this and now I have to thow it away. :sad2: Do I have to add a preservative to my lip balms? I didn't think I needed to.

Here's the recipe I use if that helps

4oz beeswax

4oz coconut oil

1oz shea butter

3oz cocoa butter

4oz sweet alomond oil (or 8oz. If you don't use fractioned coconut oil)

4oz coconut oil (fractioned)

I cut the recipe down, I didn't make this big of a batch..

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Sharon

Hopefully someone else can answer but I did want to say that the ones me and my daughter made last night have white spots, kind of like some of my candles! lol Anyway, mine spots aren't mold because we just made them. Maybe someone else will chime in because I would like to know what the white spots are from as well.

Stephanie

Yes, the beeswax and butter were thoughly melted, although the mixture seemed to cool and solidify pretty quickly, as I was pouring it into the pots. it wasn't grainy, I stired it very good. I just don't know as this is my first lip balm I have ever made. It's not green mold, if it's even mold at all, but just bumpy white spots. To me it looks like little white mold spots you would see if your cheese is starting to mold. I just noticed the candy apple doesn't really have any, maybe just a few. Hmmm, I don't know if it's the flavor oil crystalizing becuase I have never experienced what this would like like. My office gets pretty warm at times, but not hot enough for them to melt, don't know if that would have anything to do with it. Do you think it's safe you use? Has anybody had their lip balm go moldy? Not sure if i should trash it or not..:confused:

Thank you so much for all your help!

Sharon

I make a ton of lip balms, and I agree with most of the consensus here that it shouldn't be mold.

Using butters in lip balms can be incredibly tricky. I actually stopped using shea butter in lip balms because I always ended up with gritty lip balms. Basically, as it cools, the stearin (one of the fatty acids) in Shea Butter cools more quickly than the rest of the oils and forms tiny pieces of grit. I've seen these show up on the top of my lip balms looking whiter than the rest of the lip balm, because it's white, and doesn't absorb the color of the other oils in the batch, it can stand out.

The only other thing I can think to ask is regarding the flavor oil you used. Where'd you get it from? Was it intended specifically for lip balms? Some people recommend using oil based flavor oils that are used in candy. I've never used them, so I don't know if they'd cause issues in the lip balm, but they might.

Thanks Lindsey! That's good to know..;) The Shea butter I got from Oregon Trails. The flavor oils were from Oregon Trails as well, there are specifically for lip balms.. It says lip flavor right on the bottle. What would be a good thing to use in place of the Shea butter?

Thanks for your help! :D

Sharon

Thanks Lindsey! That's good to know..;) What would be a good thing to use in place of the Shea butter?

Thanks for your help! :D

Sharon

I had an "oh duh" moment when this was suggested to me a while back. I still wanted the properties of shea, especially since my marketing is based around shea butter. But I swapped out my Shea Butter with Liquid Shea Oil. I had to up my beeswax and solid oils to make up for the consistency change, but the formula is now perfect! It's always absolutely smooth, creamy, rich. I love it. And it sells like hotcakes. I was forced into solving the grit issue for a huge international wholesale account for the lip balms. I was glad I fixed the problem, and I think the result is better than the original.

Sounds devine! I will have to try that.. The thought didn't even cross my mind..lol Since you've convinced me that it's not moldy, I just put some on and it's a tad grainy.. :grin2:

I like the way this lip balm goes on (except for the graininess) but to me it's not very moistureizing, it doesn't feel lile it soaks into my lip and I have to keep reapplying it often. I want something that will stay on longer...Any suggestions?

Thanks bunches! :D

Sharon

I like the way this lip balm goes on (except for the graininess) but to me it's not very moistureizing, it doesn't feel lile it soaks into my lip and I have to keep reapplying it often. I want something that will stay on longer...Any suggestions?

I've found that the oils used in lip balms can be very personal to the person using it. To those wanting to make their own (I don't give out recipes, because I make bases to sell...we're about to launch our lip balm line), I taking the oils you'd like to use and apply each one individually for a day or two. So if you're interested in using Almond Oil, for the next day or two, apply that to your lips as needed. See how it feels, how long it last, how "moisturizing" it is, etc. Then do that for all the different oils you'd consider. Once you get several that you like, create a blend to get the consistency you want, and try it out. Have others try it as well. I spent years doing this before I came up with the blend I now use.

Thanks Lindsay for you suggestions, I will try that! I am going to send you an e-mail about you lotion bases..:D

Carrie, No, I haven't tried that. This was my first try.. I have to order some supplies, so I will be on the look out for it to try. Thank you!! :D

Sharon

As for the lip balm cooling too fast, I'll share something I used (but no laughing allowed).

I use the bottles Walmart sells for condiments (thank you to the person that recommended these to me, even though she's on another board).

I added the oils/butters to the bottle and heated this in water (a faux double boiler type thing). When everything was melted together, I put the bottle in an old 100% wool sock and was able to pour all of my bottles without any loss of temp in the butters/oil mixture.

The tubes I filled were rubberbanded together and set standing up straight in a shoebox. Around the tubes, I stuffed washclothes (between the tubes and the box) and when all the tubes were filled, I put the lid on it and covered with a few towels (just like putting CP soap to bed). No grainies at all.

Rebecca, Thanks! That's very clever..:smiley2:

Sockmonkey,

Thank you, ya, that's what it kinda looked like is when chocolate blooms..I got my beeswax from Oregon Trails.. I am just so happy it isn't mold..:yay: I used it yesterday and am still alive today...lol

Thank you much!!

Sharon

Hi, I'm 98% sure it's the shea butter that has granulated. When using shea butter you have to cool it down quickly to avoid the "beading". I usually stick products in the fridge or freezer immediately after pouring and this works for me. Good Luck!

S

Sorry, I can't help laughing, it's such a great visual!

e

As for the lip balm cooling too fast, I'll share something I used (but no laughing allowed).

I use the bottles Walmart sells for condiments (thank you to the person that recommended these to me, even though she's on another board).

I added the oils/butters to the bottle and heated this in water (a faux double boiler type thing). When everything was melted together, I put the bottle in an old 100% wool sock and was able to pour all of my bottles without any loss of temp in the butters/oil mixture.

The tubes I filled were rubberbanded together and set standing up straight in a shoebox. Around the tubes, I stuffed washclothes (between the tubes and the box) and when all the tubes were filled, I put the lid on it and covered with a few towels (just like putting CP soap to bed). No grainies at all.

The first few batches of butter and balms I made back a couple of years ago were coming out grainy. Then I found this great tutorial and discovered it works like a dream. Hundreds of batches later, no graininess!

In a microwave safe measuring cup, add all the ingredients except the fragrance oil. Melt, in 1 minute intervals in high until all the ingredients have liquefied. Continue to heat on low for another 2-3 minutes (do not boil). The continued heating will help prevent the butters from becoming grainy once solid.

HTH

Heres a tip if youre using Shea butter in your lip balms.

1. Temperature Control Method: Heat the butter to 170-185 degrees F and keep this temperature steady for 10-15 minutes. The steady heat will eliminate the fat crystals that are causing the graininess. Rapid cooling may help stop the crystals from reforming