crazy shipping at MMS....

KJohnson

So all I have in my cart is a package of Dan's bands...and 2# of castor oil...and my shipping is $10.25....

Im thinking this can not be right...

So I sent them a message asking if this is correct...and this is what they sent back...

"This is correct, it also includes insurance and delivery confirmation"

Is that not NUTS??? or am I nuts?

Kris

I am waiting for a response..I emailed them back and asked what if I dont want those services...and also said IF they used a flat rate shipping box ..which is free from the post office...that the shipping would be $8.10...which is still inreal since this total package weighs less then 3 pounds...

Was the rate quoted UPS or USPS? If it was USPS, then I agree that they should make the flat rate box available to their customers; there would be an additional small charge for insurance, but delivery confirmation is free when the label is printed online. If it was UPS they were using, this is par for the course. They have a large minimum charge, so it is not worth it on light packages. You probably could have added on several more pounds of oils and it would only have increased the shipping by a buck or so.

yes you get to pick...

here is what I copied from my order

Choose A Shipping Method:

USPS:Priority Mail$10.25 Total order $20.25

USPS:Parcel Post$9.15 Total order $19.15black.gif

UPS:Ground$9.81 Total order $19.81

UPS:Three Day Select$14.64 Total Order $24.64

UPS:Second Day Air$19.32 Total Order $29.32

UPS:Next Day Air$45.48 Total Order $55.48black.gif

Pickup in Logan, Utah (No Delivery)$0.00$10.63

You probably could have added on several more pounds of oils and it would only have increased the shipping by a buck or so.
Yes, this has been my experience with them. You order a few things, the shipping is so much. You order a bunch more things, the shipping is not a whole lot more.

I just ordered from them this weekend...which was a fairly large order and my shipping was $8.74 UPS. (included 3#'s FO's, 5 Flavor Oils, some soaping oils and clays and essential oils and some jars and lotion stick tubes and some more ) I ordered one 16oz bottle of FO from Peaks a couple weeks ago and the shipping came up as almost 10.00 for the one bottle...and I fired off an email and they said that was the base charge and if you add a few more bottles it wouldn't change much. But they gave me the option of USPS and that was much much cheaper! So you are probably being charged the initial base charge....

here is the last email from them'

"This is our shipping policy, all boxes leave with insurance and delivery confirmation. If the box is damaged or lost we have to have a means of claim & tracking."

but they didnt say anything at all about using a flat rate box

I asked about the flat rate shipping....and i also asked if I only order Dan's bands what would the shipping be.....and got this back

"All shipping is calculated on a 2lb minimum. Please use our on-line ordering system as a means of getting a shipping quote. Our shipping rates are posted on our web site and stand as such."

Regards,

MMS Staff

Small orders always have what seems to be extreme shipping, no matter what supplier - it's the way UPS and other shippers work. That first pound costs the most, and subsequent pounds don't add much to the cost. Look at page 50 of http://www.ups.com/media/en/2007_daily_rsg.pdf

The first pound farthest zone is $4.81, and 2 pounds is $5.59. That second pound only cost .22. And the third pound costs $6.21, an additional .62.

The fuel surcharges really get you too.

Large companies are set up to give us pretty close to wholesale prices, they aren't necessarily priced well for the very small amounts that we need. It's not easy for them to "just start using flat rate". It means they have to stock the extra boxes, and have a space in their warehouse to put all of them, make sure their picking slips have the right designation (flat rate box or regular priority box), make sure their warehouse people are trained, and on and on.

Then you get those suppliers that add in extreme handling charges.

When I'm looking at a supplier, I always check their rates and compare it to the USPS flat rate $8.10. Usually if it's around $10 I'm OK with it. If it's higher, I'll double check it against the UPS site and see how it stacks up to "reality". If it looks reasonable, I'll start adding more product to see if I can leverage the higher shipping cost.

Or not - I've got one vendor that seems to have extra high shipping, so I'm waiting until I need a bunch of stuff before I order.

I have always found the shipping to be nuts, it usually doesn't matter who or where you order from. I would have to be totally desperate and with extremely limited funds to place such a small order; it is always worse when you order only a little bit. Try to make a point of ordering less often, but in larger quantities, it will probably make quite a difference.

KJ, I've got some of these bands. If you didn't really need the castor, I can send you 10 or so to try out. PM me your address and I'll send them first class no charge. This way you can see if you like them before you incur such high shipping charges.

welp...my opinion is USPS insurance is worthless (they will always try and tell you that the contents were not packed properly and you must wait days and days and days to be able to apply). Your customer is required to save all packaging and boxes and take photos of the products...yeah that will happen....they must also be the ones to haul it into USPS.

Delivery confirmation from USPS is free when purchased online. Also DC is NOT tracking! All it does it let the shipper know that the package has been delivered ...it rarely provides the recipient with an update of the package along the way. It just depends if the different carriers and stations scan it en route.

On my non-candle, non B&B site, I've shipped over 2000 + packages, all USPS Priority. In 4 years two have gone missing to be found later, two were much delayed per their 2-3 day average (but not guaranteed) delivery times.

I just ship with a flat rate charge and don't bother with an insurance charge unless it's over a certain amount. If a customer has a problem I try to deal with it in a courteous and professional manner...well I think I'm off topic now...time to sleeeeeep!

May be a stupid question but what is MMS? Never heard of them????

Majestic Mountain Sage

I order from them a few times a year and love their products, doesn't really seem high priced on shipping to me, but I usually order enough to make it workth my while to do so. Small orders from anywhere, usually aren't worth it.

I think also you have to take into account that MMS doesn't use the postal service boxes. They buy very nice thick sturdy ones and that costs. They tack that cost onto the buyers. Course you rarely ever hear of someone getting a damaged package from them.

They also...as far as I remember...not using the online postal service site postage where you get the free delivery confirmation.

I know it bites but they are wonderful for larger orders. Possibly next time if you are just wanting something small like that do a iso listing in the classified here and see if you can buy some before you order.

I just placed an order two weeks ago and didn't even realize the shipping was so high. I wasn't paying attention. Thanks for the info. next time I will watch the shipping prices. It really sucks that we are overcharged for shipping. If the merchants just charged us actual shipping fees and raised their prices on the merchandise that would be more honest than ripping us off without us really realizing it.