Please Help! I think I'm in big trouble

This is the most positive and constructive thread I've read. Sometimes I'm afraid of posting for fear of being judged. It feels like a tide is turning:yay: .

Shine

Well said...and I agree. Feels more like the board used to be.

Heaven...there's a solution to every problem. Best of luck to you.

Thanks, everyone! What a great place to learn from the experience of others. My buyer was understandably disappointed in my need for a delay but agreed that a better candle was worth the wait. Candlebean, thanks for the super advice! I did what you said and found it works like a charm. Also, I'm so glad that this thread turned out to be helpful to others as well. BTW, how many of you actually make a living from making and selling candles? :highfive:

...BTW, how many of you actually make a living from making and selling candles? :highfive:

Mostly mine are gifts for friends and family, and testing keeps me busy when I can't ride my mountain bikes or if the weather is bad. What I do sell right now is confined to holidays to three different groups of customers, and it helps defray the cost of supplies. I wouldd say I'm beyond the hobby stage, but far from making a living at it. One of my goals is to make enough to pay for my supplies and have a little extra for supporting my other expensive hobby, mountain bike riding/racing!

geek

Relax, candle making is suppose to be fun.Just let the woman know you need more time. Tell her you would like a great working relationship, and your product is not up the standard you want. Tell her as soon as it is you will advice her. Also try using a stir stick or a straw to wick your jar. I put the wick in then a smidge of hot glue and down it goes:yay: . Good Luck with everything. Anyone have any advice on what kind of embeds to use in hurricane shells. I am an advid candle maker with soy, so I just started this new adventure.

• 2 years later...

Candlescience, I am new here so I really hope you are still an active poster. I'm hoping you can clarify something...

When you melt the top of your wickless candle, you said that you take a screwdriver and make a hole in the top of your candle. Do you use the screwdriver to dig a hole big enough to fit the entire bottm of the wick and then remelt to fuse the wick in place? Am I understanding correctly? Thanks!

Hi LS and welcome to the board. I'm afraid you've popped in on a thread that's 2 years old so it's pretty inactive post wise.

As for pouring wickless testers here's what I do.

Pour the candle with no wick and let set up and cure for a couple of days. I use an ice pick or thin wooden scewer to make a hole in the center from the top through to the bottom, then insert the wick I want to test (no need to secure at this point), trim it and give it a couple of test burns to see if I'm in the ballpark. If not, I pull out the wick (use needlenose pliers or tweezers) and insert another wick and so on.

Once you find a wick you think is 'the one' you can re-melt the candle, secure the wick and continue the burn to the end.

Save tons of time with 'hit and miss' wicks.

Since I just noticed you are a noob, I must also let you know that noobs taste like chicken :drool:

geek :laugh2:

You are funny Geek. :laugh2:

I thought this thread looked familiar, especially the post about walking away from candlemaking forever (quite rude - sticks out). Didn't realize it was two years old till after I posted.

I am not going to be harsh you, although what you are doing is wrong. If you don't test these candles and you give them over to this lady, what happens if people buy them and bring them back to the store because there is something wrong with them?? That will make the woman who owns the store look bad and it will make you look even worse. Testing is very important in candle making especially if you are selling them. I just recently started making candles and I have a festival coming up in May and I feel like that may not even be enough time and I only plan on taking about 75 candles, how are you going to do it in 4 days? I know where you are coming from though, that is awesome that somebody wants to buy your candles and sell them in their store, but if you ask for alittle bit more time maybe atleast an extra 2 weeks I am sure she would understand. Tell her that you have encountered a problem with that size jar and you need some extra time to make them perfect!