First Made Candles Sinking in Middle

I need some help. I made my first candles last night. After I poured them into the containers they looked perfect, level on the top. Then after they started cooling they started to sink in the middle. Why is this? I want to solve this problem before I waste any more money on candle supplies.

Thanks

Carmen:D

most wax will do that once their cooled you'll want to pour a little extra to fill in the sink hole but just up to where the original fill line is. no biggie like i said alot of wax does that but you can get one pour wax (don't know if it actually works i'm straight 415 never tried a '1 pour'

I've only just started this hobby also Carmen. I was surprised how much the wax shrank. I used paraffin wax and I assume you are also.

The answers I came up with were to add extra wax at a higher temperature. So in my case the initial pour was at 180f the top-up was at 190f. This fuses the new wax to the old. Avoid going higher on the edge of the mould than the first pour, try to aim for a slightly bulged centre. I have found it best to let the candle cool completely first or you will have to add another top-up later.

Prior to topping up I put 4 skewer holes within 1cm of the wick as I've read that this stops voids in the candle,I do this just before it has fully set. My latest refinement is to slightly trim the wick so that it finishes below the top up level this gives a smoother finish to the base.

Amazing what you can learn in under a week.

Ian

I use a 'supposed' one pour [223] and because of the shape of the jars, I get a major sink hole. Can heat gun the top, can save some wax and after it has setup some, top it off or I found using the wick as a stir to help the candle cool evenly helps. Never has this issue with the shorter wider jars I used to have.

It's weird but, it does depend on the jars. I use several jars and it seems that the taller and narrower the jar the more the issue. But, I have worked with 4627 forever and even the votive waxes, they all need topped of. I have yet to see a one pour wax that works in all types of jars. So, plan for it! I keep out 1 cup of top off for every 4 lbs poured of wax.... I actually do 1 pouring pot + about 1 inch more to top off. This fills 7 pint jars. Don't do your topping off until the candle is completely cool.

I've only just started this hobby also Carmen. I was surprised how much the wax shrank. I used paraffin wax and I assume you are also.

The answers I came up with were to add extra wax at a higher temperature. So in my case the initial pour was at 180f the top-up was at 190f. This fuses the new wax to the old. Avoid going higher on the edge of the mould than the first pour, try to aim for a slightly bulged centre. I have found it best to let the candle cool completely first or you will have to add another top-up later.

Prior to topping up I put 4 skewer holes within 1cm of the wick as I've read that this stops voids in the candle,I do this just before it has fully set. My latest refinement is to slightly trim the wick so that it finishes below the top up level this gives a smoother finish to the base.

Amazing what you can learn in under a week.

Ian

If I'm not mistaken, you're referring to pillars but she's asking about containers. Relief holes and bonding layers aren't usually necessary in containers :wink2:

If I'm not mistaken, you're referring to pillars but she's asking about containers. Relief holes and bonding layers aren't usually necessary in containers :wink2:

Quite right. The question didn't sink in even if her containers did.:D

Never mind the info will be sound if Carmen moves on to pillars.

Ian

Quite right. The question didn't sink in even if her containers did.:D

Never mind the info will be sound if Carmen moves on to pillars.

Ian

*Cute, I like that*

For the sinking in the middle like tcc said you can use a heat gun, if it's minimal shrinkage, to even it out. If it's more then you would have to do a repour. BTW, what wax are you using? HTH~